From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:03:50 -0400
Hello all,
Well, it*s been quite some time since I*ve posted.  Life as a show registrar
is endlessly busy.  Today*s FML caught my eye, though, as I thought I might
be able to help with a few questions.

LITTER
>was wondering if some people could tell me their opinions about corn
>cob litter & newspaper pellet litter???

Many folks prefer pelleted wood litter (not wood chips).  It has amazing
powers of odor control.  If you prefer to purchase it from a pet store, look
for Nature*s Way Feline Pine or Pine Fresh.  For an even less expensive
option, look in a local home or hardware store for wood stove pellets (Stove
Chow is a popular brand).  They only cost =244 or so for a huge bag.

NEUTERING AGE
>The vet said that at his current rate of growth that he would be over 6
>lbs when full grown if we don't have him neutered soon.  He also said
>that the longer we wait to neuter him the more he will smell afterward.

P*shaw!  If he does grow to 6lbs by the time that he is full grown, good for
him!  Then he is just a big, healthy boy.  Don*t worry about your little
girl; she*ll hold her own.  The age at which he is neutered has absolutely
nothing to do with how he will smell afterward.  Best bet- wait until he is
full grown (6-7 months) to have him neutered.  And find a more knowledgeable
vet!

GIESELA*S ODOR
>My two year old Giesela has started to smell distinctly more ferret like.
I wouldn*t worry overly much right away.  Don*t rule it out as a seasonal
occurrence.  Keep an eye on her though as I have heard of a stronger body
odor being associated with adrenal disease.

HAIR LOSS ON TAIL
>I noticed today aftering reading my messages that he has a thinning of hair
>on his tail in about a 3 in strip down the outside of his tail.  Although
>she is an otherwise healthy ferret, Scout's tail is beginning to look like
>a possum's.

Look closely at his tail.  If it exhibits blackheads, white bumps, and/or
flaky orange skin, he is probably just experiencing seasonal hair loss, and
it is harmless (if ugly).  You can treat it with a benzoyl peroxide solution
that you can purchase from your vet.  Often it can take months for the hair
to regrow properly.  If hair loss continues up onto his body, definately
consider that he may have adrenal disease.

DISTEMPER VACCINATIONS
>We can all learn from this.... GET ALL FERRETS VACCINATED!!!!

Please heed this warning.  Distemper is an _airborne_ disease that is
invariably fatal.  It doesn*t matter if your ferret never leaves the house.
He can still contract this horrible disease.  Have your ferrets vaccinated
with Fervac or Galaxy-D at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age.  If you don*t know
your ferret*s vaccination history, have him vaccinated once immediately and
once again two weeks later.

FLEAS
>I need help with a new flea problem.

Treat the ferrets with _kitten_ safe flea products (like a mousse).  Do not
dip ferrets.  Treat all carpets and floors (even wood floors) with a
_kitten_ safe product.  You can*t just treat the ferrets; you have to treat
the floors as most of the fleas are on the floor, not on your ferret.  You
can buy safe flea treatments from your vet.  You can also use a flea comb to
remove fleas directly from your ferret.  Keep a jar of alcohol nearby, and
dip the comb in it as soon as you *catch* a flea.  (Just be sure that no
ferts get into the alcohol.)

NATURAL PRODUCTS
>For all you English speaking people, "Helsokost butik" is a store where you
>buy only health products, no artifcial or dangerous products there.

Be careful!  As an herbalist, I can definately say that some natural
products are *dangerous.* Essential oils in particular can be very
dangerous.  Herbs are wonderful, you just need to be cautious and educated.

SNEEZING/BLOODY NOSE
>This afternoon she went into one of her sneezing fits.  I checked her out,
>and she seemed to be fine.  However, about 10 minutes later, I noticed blood
>on her nose.  Upon closer examination, she had blood inside of one of her
>nostrils also.

Two possibilities come to my mind.  First you mentioned that the air in your
house is dry.  Dry air can cause bloody noses.  Perhaps you might put a
humidifier (out of ferret reach) in the fert room.  Frequent sneezing,
though, leads me to believe that she might have allergies.  Think of all of
the chemicals with which she has contact- carpet powders/sprays, insect
sprays, laundry detergent, cage cleaner, litter, etc.  Stop using any carpet
sprays/powders or insect sprays in rooms where she plays.  Use scent/color
free laundry detergent.  Use mild soap and water for cage cleaning, and use
a plain litter (like Yesterday*s News).  Clay or clumping litters as well as
highly scented litters can cause respiratory problems.

Well!  Tired of me yet?  I suppose I had better sign off for today.

Gina/Sage Ferrets with
Paleface (Bean), Beau Geste (Bozeph), Daniel (Spikey), and Gunnar (Goose)