From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:18:15 +0200
Josef Bjornberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At first it wasnt really that hard but as he is growing he has now
>started to bite harder and harder.

He's playing and for some reason he thinks you've given him an OK to bite
harder.  Ferrets usually know or learn easily not to bite too hard,
especially when playing with other ferrets.

What I do is to never permit them biting my feet (none have tried to more
than the first night) and I play a lot with them when they grab hold of my
hands carefully, and I "bite" back by pinching them in the neck just as
carefully as I want them to handle me.  Seems to work alright except for the
very youngest ones.

>What kind of dry cat-food should I give him?

At present we don't have a very large and widely available selection of
ferret foods in Sweden, but some cat foods are almost as good.  Mine eat
Iams and Eukanuba.  And pork chops and the like.

>The cage we keep him in when we are not at home is another thing that I
>think about.  I worry that it perhaps is too small.  It is 1 x 0.5 m.

Starting next year, it's going to be 1/10 the permitted minimum size.  (5 m
square, smallest side 1 m, height at least 1 m.) Rather impractical, so you
should try to make do without a cage.

> -  What kind of kitty-litter should I use?

I prefer the one made from recycled newspapers (Toa-lett).

> -  Is there any ferret owners in Sweden who reads this?

Around 20 is my guess, but I don't think anyone knows as we too can have .com
and .net addresses.

> - What kind of treats (that does not cause diarrhea) can I give my ferret?

Whatever you choose, keep the amounts small.  I let my five share *one*
raisin per week.  Natasja got to eat a little banana about once per week.

Lars Eriksson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Myself & Nadine will be attending a big exotic pet expo in Copenhagen,
>August 31 (this comming Sunday).  If you like to see many beautiful and
>very unusual ferrets (plus a lot of ferret products) please stop by!

For someone living in Uppsala I think a more practical suggestion for Aug
31:st is to visit the Swedish Ferret Society outdoors meeting in Stockholm,
at 13.00 by Kakn=E4stornet.

Does "many" and "unusual" mean that there's now a Danish ferret society or
are they from a Danish breeder?

URL for the Swedish Ferret Society (text almost only in Swedish):
http://www.kuai.se/%7Estif/

-- Urban Fredriksson
http://www.alfaskop.net/%7Egriffon/