From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:33:58 -0400
I have a little one, and soon another, on Mitotane.  I understand this *IS*
Lysodren.  In cases where an adrenal tumor is so far advanced that it cannot
be removed, or there is a portion of the tumor that cannot be removed, this
drug is used to 'buy some time' for the ferret.  In some ferrets it has been
effective at "slowing the growth" of the gland and tumor.  My understanding
is that it is *not* a cure, and does not help in every case.  With Rikki,
one of the permanent shelter residents here who is on it, I have seen
dramatic improvements.  Her overall energy has picked up greatly since she
started on this medicine.

Because the ferrets require such a small amount of the medication, I buy it
through a compounding pharmacist.  It is mixed in solution.  It must be
mixed into an oil base solution.  My pharmacist was eager to find a "flavor"
that Rikki would like.  We tried several and she hated all of them.  It
finally dawned on me that *Ferretone* would work as it is oil base.  I asked
the pharmacist about it and he said it would work, so we mixed that for her
and now she thinks it is a *treat*.  You may want to try this.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter