From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:33:47 -0400
You are very wise to check out what the books say on your own.  (Though
unfortunately, some information in pet store ferret books that are available
is incomplete or inaccurate, so I don't mean to imply that just because it
is in print it is 'gospel'.) But we can all learn so much if we will search
out information on our own and *read* everything we can get our hands on
regarding ferrets.

You are also very wise to request other opinions if you are unsure!  What
you were reading about spleens in ferrets is *correct* it is a pretty common
occurrence.  I *would not* perform surgery for removal of the spleen on a
six year old when there is no *reason* to do this.  If there is no
irregularity in bodily function, blood tests, etc., and the spleen isn't so
large that it is pressing on the other organs...then WHY does this vet want
to do surgery???  Based upon what information you have given me, I would
absolutely NOT have this done.  If the vet has a valid reason he/she wants
to pursue surgery, we'd all love to know what that is.

If you are not completely confident in your vet's abilities and competence
with ferrets, then *by all means* find another vet.  There are probably 50
vets that are much closer to me, but I drive 45 miles to 50 miles (one way)
to take my fuzzies and the shelter fuzzies to the best ferret practicioner
in the area.  It is tough on my schedule to do this, but it is well worth it.

To locate a veterinarian who is more skilled with ferrets in your area,
search the internet for Ferret Central and locate Pam Grant's STAR database.
If there are no vets listed there, call all the shelters, clubs, ferret
contacts, etc., that are in your area, widen your search as necessary, talk
to them and find out who they use or recommend.  Shelters *must* have a good
vet!  I also have found vets for ferrets in other cities/states by looking
up the AAHA on the web and contacting them, they were very helpful and
responded quickly to me.  I found a vet in the city that I was looking for.
Even if you have to drive that is okay.  We have terminal cases here!!  The
only reason they are terminal is because proper action was not taken early
on when problems developed, because they were mis-diagnosed by vets not
skilled in *ferret medicine.  I cannot tell you how sad this is and how much
it angers me!!  Some of these kids are "young", yet they are dying.  A
simple surgery in the beginning, would have saved them and allowed them to
lead a happy normal ferret life.

Don't mean to scare you about perhaps needing surgery on your kiddo, just
want you to understand how important it is to get an accurate diagnosis,
whether surgery is needed, or whether it is *not* needed.  Good luck in your
vet search.  Let me know if I can help.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter