From:
Tricia Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:12:35 -0500
Hello All.
I've been having computer difficulties, so I haven't been reading the post
lately, so I am very behind on all the topics (I'm sure I'll catch up).
Because of the discussion some time ago about the 8 in 1 ferret diet (which
is what I have been feeding my critters), I re-evaluated my options for
my ferret's health and well being.  I have heard very mixed opinions on
whether or not ferrets should be fed kitten/cat food or not.  I've heard
some people say that it's ALL they feed their ferrets, and I've heard
others say that it's not good for them, etc, and that no matter what,
they always feed their ferrets ferret food only.

Well I've done some label reading lately, and discovered that most kitten
and cat foods aren't within the nutritional values that ferrets need, and
many have high ash content.  I did find, though, that IAMS kitten food has
good values for protein as well as fat, and a low ash content  (better
values than what 8 in 1 has).  Has anyone tried IAMS kitten food with
their ferrets?  I'd really like to know everyone's take on the stuff.

Please note that I am NOT trying to rehash an arguement, I am not saying
that 8 in 1 is a bad ferret diet (I've never had a problem with it,
actually), I am NOT saying that any one way of feeding ferrets is better
than another.  I would simply like to know if kitten food, like IAMS can
be good for ferrets, and learn the results/reactions from people who have
tried it.

Bright blessings to all,
Tricia
and her three girls: Bella, Shirley, and Kayla