From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:42:40 -0500
Tricia
Several years ago, before Totally Ferret and other high quality ferret
foods (There are many low quality ferret foods, so beware!), Iams kitten
food was considered by many to be the kibble of choice for ferrets.  People
would rave about how their ferret's coat got softer and how much healthier
they were after switching to Iams.

My personal belief is that Iams kitten is a good food.  I use it in a mix
with mostly Totally Ferret, and smaller amounts of one or two other foods.
Is Iams as good as TF or other quality ferret foods?  I don't know, but I
do know it is readily available and reasonably priced, and as best as I
can tell, made from quality ingredients.

Over a year ago, Iams changed their carboydrate from rice to a mix of corn
grits and sorghum.  Some ferret people say this is bad, that any corn in
ferret food is bad becuase it is hard to digest.  Others, including at
least one noted ferret vet, say that rice is bad, because it is too easy
to digest, and causes blood sugar peaks, perhaps leading to insulinoma.

Me?  I'm confused and wishing someone would figure this all out.  As Tim in
the UK pointed out, a natural diet is undoubtably better, but as West Coast
Georgia says, it is not very easy for most of us to do that.

I've lost 2 ferrets in the last year to insulinoma and adrenal.  If
changing diet can decrease the risk of those diseases, PLEASE someone
figure it out and let us know!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH