From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:54:17 -0800
Over the last week or so, I've seen the following statements repeated over
and over.

1. Ferrets are the third most popular domesticated animal
2. Ferrets have been domesticated for thousands of years.
3. Ferrets were domesticated before cats

It's my understanding that all three statements are incorrect so I'm
looking for an authority on these subjects to set us all straight.  Are
you around, Bob?

What I understand is:
1. The survey (conducted by whom?) actually lumped ferrets with all other
   small mammals - "pocket pets". Thus ferrets were in this "pocket pet"
   category along with creatures like rats, gerbils, etc.
2. The domestication history of ferrets has never been proven. Domestication
    certainly goes back hundreds of years but is unclear when we are talking
   "thousands" of years.
3. Cats have been domesticated for many thousands of years and certainly
   much, much longer than ferrets.  It is easily proven that the Egyptians
   held domesticated cats.

Could an expert please set me straight?

-Carla