From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:03:22 -0800
Barbara Gustafson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>... and had run out of money.  It is our policy that we don't lend money
>nor cover the veterinary costs for any but shelter ferrets.  We'd go broke
>if we did.

In March, 1995 when my Gunther passed away, I put a tribute to his short
but meaningful life in the Oregon Ferret Association newsletter.  (Gunther
had spent 3.5 of his 5 years in two different "shelters".)  In his tribute,
I proposed a Rainbow Fund where members can put a memorial in our
newsletter for a donation to a Rainbow Fund.  This eventually evolved into
a fund to cover medical needs.  It's not a cure all but can help in an
emergency.  This is from our Board Resolutions:

"Rainbow Fund".  The purpose of the Rainbow Fund is to provide a source of
funds to assist ferrets in need of medical care that is not affordable to
the owner or caretaker.  Members shall be allowed to post short articles
in the newsletter to memorialize ferrets that have crossed the "Rainbow
Bridge" (passed away).  Expenditures from this fund may not exceed the
amount in the fund.  Officers and Directors may not borrow or receive money
from the Rainbow Fund because of the special requirement for Due Care.

 (1) Temporary loans.  A loan may be made to any member in good standing
 who needs assistance for ferret medical care.  Loans shall be made after
 application (verbally or written) is made to an officer.  The request for
 assistance and dollar amounts must be verified with a medical provider.
 The loan is granted by a vote of a simple majority of the Officers.  A
 loan document must be signed.  Terms of the loan cannot exceed four months
 or $100.00.  The money shall be paid directly to the medical provider.
 The loan must be repaid in full before another loan can be approved.
 Failure to repay loans subjects the borrower to legal action.

 (2) Permanent expenditures.  An expenditure of funds not requiring
 repayment may be proposed to the Officers to provide medical care for a
 ferret provided such expenditure is in the best interest of the OFA.
 The necessity and amount must be verified.  The vote approving such
 expenditures requires a simple majority of the Officers.  This amount
 shall not exceed 50% of the existing fund balance.  The funds must be
 paid directly to the medical care-giver.

        -Carla

Save a life today! Visit the Ferret Friends
Disaster Response International website.
(http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~ferretma/ffdri1.html)