Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:36:00 CST
Our group gets canned food twice a day as a treat.  As I have so
many I don't think any single ferret gets very much and they still
eat their "main" diet of Iams, Science Diet, and Pro Plan.  Considering
you are feeding 5 ferrets a 3 oz can once a day it is more like a treat.
As long as they continue to eat their "main" diet it shouldn't be a
problem.  Ferrets are very much "creatures of habit" and it is sometimes
difficult and stressful to change their routines.

Adopting from a Humane Society is an excellent idea.  YOU ARE SAVING A
LIFE.  I work with behavior modification in ferrets and it is amazing
how quickly these wonderful intelligent creatures come around even after
being in an abusive or neglectfull situation.  I frequently correspond
with our area shelters to rescue those ferrets that haven't been adopted.
Because an animal is at a Humane Society, Shelter, or Pound does not
mean it has a behavorial problem.  It could be many other reasons such
as owner moving, allergic reaction, uneducated owner to type of animals
needs, family problems, illness, not wanted, found, abondoned, etc.
We have a 100% success rate in behavior modification.  I have to
admit that a lot of the work is done by the ferrets that share my home.
Who better to teach a ferret than another ferret!

My condolences to all who have lost loved ones and warm wishes for a
speedy recovery for Fitch and all other sick or injured ferrets. You
are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to all.  tle