From:
Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 18:03:02 -0600
Harry C. Silvis asked about recycling waste yesterday.  We don't use ground
corn cobs, but do use wood stove pellets, so this should apply.  This fall
we began dumping litterbox waste (pellets and poo) into our compost pile
along with the usual.  I can't tell you the final results as we haven't been
able to work it or use it much yet - we'll have the final results this
spring.  But we have had no problems.  No unusual stinkiness.  Actually, I
wonder if it keeps certain critters out of our yard as some folks use the
poo in their yard as a deterrant.

J. Howard Garrett's Organic Manual speaks to the subject in essence sayingg
that animal manure is acceptable, though dog and cat manure is
controversial, but that the author uses his dog's and leaves the decision up
to you.  (Garrett is a well-known organic gardening advocate in TX, esp.
Dallas, with newspaper columns and radio shows.) Our pets' diet is pretty
processed so I don't have a problem with the composting.  I suppose pregnant
women might have a concern, but they are not supposed to garden without
gloves on anyway.

Actually, the only setback was the amount - it quickly filled our bin and we
had to stop till we can rework the bin in spring.  And we only have 3
ferrets.  Harry, with ten ferrets, you might need an awfully big bin!  It is
rather disconcerting to really see how much space pet poo must take up in a
landfill!  We already recycled, but when we were able to compost the waste,
too, we often didn't even have enough trash to bother to set out for
collection every week, and the trash cans in the house smelled a lot better!

Shelly
(SC Ellis-Blackwell)