From:
NANCY STEPHENS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:07:16 -0500
I'm trying to learn how to garden, preferably as organically as possible.
So, I subscribe to Organic Gardening magazine.  One of the things they
*emphatically* teach is to avoid pressure treated wood for any gardening or
human-contact purposes.  It contains arsenic which will leach into the soil
and be absorbed by the plants, or if your toddler crawls on it then sticks
their hands in their mouths... Of course, apple seeds contain arsenic as
well and I wouldn't call 911 if I accidentally ate one.  So I'll leave it to
all of you to do the research when considering wood for your next deck or
playground equipment (just remember, the lumber companies have a vested
interest in telling you how safe it is).  I would recommend against using it
for a ferret cage, though, as the ferret might actively chew on it.

Also, regarding ferret poop as fertilizer.  Everything I've read about
composting says you shouldn't use the feces of carnivores for compost to be
used for food purposes.  I can't recall exactly why, I think there are
dangerous organisms in carnivore feces than can be transmitted to humans.
The feelings are kind of mixed about using it for non-food fertilizer.  So,
if you want to use your "used" plant-product (newspaper, corn cobs, wood,
etc...) litter around your flowers, great.  But avoid using it in your
vegetable/herb garden.  Personally, I think it's a good idea, and it will
help keep rodents away from your house, too.  :)

- Nancy

-----
Nancy L. Stephens

Senior Systems Analyst