Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1993 17:46:59 -0500
     I had to take Teebone back to the vet Friday (yesterday). He was
developing another anal abscess, his fourth in seven months. To make
matters worse the vet that I had confidence in left last week. The person
that replaced her seems to know very little about ferrets. She even seemed
alittle afraid to pick Teebone up, told him not to bite her. I asked a few
questions concerning Linatone and Petromalt and the vet had never heard of
these products. Maybe she just knows them under different names? I also
questioned her concerning surgery for Teebone and she seemed reluctant to
discuss the possiblity. She prescribed Clavamox drops instead of the
Amoxicillin Teebone usually takes for this recurring condition. Poor
little Teebone. Just imagine the pain of having this and then having to
endure being dragged to the doctor so often. He was really looking for
something to chew on. I have talked about in the past the obsession he has
had with chewing and ingesting everything in sight. I took all of his
towels and jeans and cloths I had for play and bedding away from him and
had Weezul and Teebone sleeping on crumbled up newspaper. Well I have
improved the situation with replacing the newspaper with plain paper
towels. So far Teebone has not developed an appetite for paper towels
so I think we are safe.
     Regarding the ferret and fire discussion, I too have experienced
this rather dangerous attraction. My first ferret Hun-Hun was blind,
but whenever there was a fire crackling in the fireplace he headed
right to it. He would push the mesh screen aside and plunge towards the
flames. I thought it was just because he could not see the danger, but
now I suspect he did not recognize it as harmful...as a moth to flames.
I had to be especially careful when the flames died out and there were
still hot embers, he would like to root around in the ashes. Fortunately
he was never hurt because I kept such a close watch over him. He had this
same attraction to loud noises such as cars. Whenever I took him out to the
park he would always race over to the street when a car would rumble by.
I always kept him on a leash so he was never in danger. I sure miss you
Hun-Hun. My two new babies are just as adventurous, which keeps me on
my toes. As all ferret owners know this is one of the qualities of a
ferret that makes them so lovable.

                                              Forever Loving Ferrets,
                                              Judy Gallipeau, "Got to Chew"
                              Teebone and "Ring-Eyed" Weezul