Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1993 20:31:40 -0500
     I have learned a great deal about ferrets since I have been on the
ferret listing. In reading about the different diseases and health problems
that can inflict the ferret, I have questioned the validity of the
diagnosis of liver tumor of my first ferret Hun-Hun who died in June,1992.
     I know that nothing can help him now, but it bothers me that I
trusted the vet and did not seek other opinions and that it is possible
he could have been helped.
     It all started with my seeking a qualified vet for Hun-Hun. I had
heard of a vet who advertised that he was familiar with ferrets so I
took Hun-Hun to him to get his shots. The vet gave him both dog and cat
vaccinations. I thought nothing of it because I believed he was qualified.
This was in August of 1990 and Hun-Hun was approximately 4 yrs. old.
In Sept.1991 Hun-Hun stated to vomit a clear sticky substance. He would
scamper around frantically clawing at his mouth trying to get the sticky
phlegm out. I took him to the same vet and he took xrays and did a CBC
and prescribed Baytril for pneumonia. He found nothing unusual on the
xrays or from the CBC. Hun-Hun continued to have the same problems even
after all the medicine was taken. I took him to another vet whom I had
heard favorable reports to get a second opinion. She suspected Cardio-
myopathy and blindness due to insufficient nutrition and lack of the
nutrient taurine. I had Hun-Hun on a diet of dog food because this is
what the pet store was feeding him and what the previous owner had fed
him. When I inquired about this with several pet stores and vets they
didn't see any problem with it as long as he was eating. So when the
vet told me this diagnosis I was very surprised. She prescribed
Propanolol, Fuiosomide, Lixotric and Feline Spectrum. Hun-Hun had a
build up of fluids and the diuretic was suppose to relieve him of this.
     He seemed to improve until Jan. 1992 when he started to refuse food.
The vet did a Basic Profile, CBC and T-4. The results showed that his
thyroid was abnormal and also his liver functions. She did a exam of
his abdomen and found a small lump and said it was a liver tumor.
She prescribed (I,m not sure of the spelling) Tapazol? and Lyoplus?
The medication for his thyroid did not agree with Hun-Hun at all. One
day he began acting hyper, running around and clawing at his mouth.
I called the vet and she replied that she had done everything she
could and could do no more for him. Then she asked if I wanted to put
him to sleep. I was shocked and furious. I discontinued the thyroid and
liver medication and within a few days Hun-Hun began eating and acting
better. I continued with the Propanolol, Lixotric, Fuiosomide and
Feline Spectrum and Hun-Hun did fine until May, 1992. He became
lethargic, weak and lost his appetite. I saw no signs of jaundice that
is suppose to accompany liver disease. I force fed  him and gave him
Pedialyte but when he could no longer walk and he began to show
discomfort when moved I had him put to sleep on June 29,1992.
    The reason for my relating what happened to Hun-Hun is that I
have questions about the tests performed and their results and
the possiblity that a mistake could have been made.
     Could the tumor have been an enlarged spleen or pancreas?
If HunHun did have abnormal readings of thyroid and liver, could
this also indicate something else? This vet was not familiar with
ferrets I later discovered and basically went along the lines of
treating a ferret like a cat. Could the vet make the mistake of
using the specifications of cats to determine that the ferrets'
level of thyroid and liver functions were abnormal? Could spleen
or pancreatic cancer/tumors give the same test results as liver cancer?
     I guess what I am asking is if the vet could have made a mistake
in the diagnosis of liver tumor. Why don't vets just admit that they
have little knowledge of ferrets and recommend someone? I am on my
sixth vet and searching again since I have had problems with Teebone.
     Also does giving both dog and cat vaccinations to ferrets harm
them? The two vets I have mentioned gave Hun-Hun both cat and dog shots!
     In learning the answers to the above questions I can at least
assure myself that what happened to Hun-Hun will not happen to my new
ferrets. Thanks again to all the members of the ferret list for sharing
their experiences and stories.

                                       Still learning about and loving
                                       ferrets, Judy*Teebone*Weezul