Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 23:26:47 -0500
Your love for Antigone shows in each thought you have
expressed to us and in the decision you made to put
Antigone to rest. I have written about my first ferret
Hun-Hun and how I had to make that decision. It was one of
the hardest thing I had to do in my life. You can never
prepare for that moment when you hold the life of an ill
ferret in your hands and then decide to give that ferret
peace when you know he will never be well.

Victoria, I also spent many sleepless nights trying to
coax Hun-Hun to eat and drink. I held him many days and
nights just talking and stroking him and trying to
send my healing thoughts to him. I would wake each day
hoping that he would be better and at the same time knowing
he wasn't and wishing he would pass away painlessly in his
sleep. When he did not leave me on his own, I knew I had
to help him.

Thank you for relating your experience and feelings in
regards to Antigone. I know it was a very painful decision
you had to make, but it was brave and loving one.
I hope other ferret owners can learn from your
story that it is never a easy situation to face
when a loving pet gets sick. Unless a person has
been confronted with such a difficult decision to
put an animal to rest, one can never know how hard it can be.

                                     With sympathy for your loss,
                                     Judith Gallipeau.