From:
Michael Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:05:21 -0800
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob and Tom radio show
>
>Well, it was really fun to have the topic of ferrets as a part of
>my morning ride to work. I frequently listen to Bob and Tom (sorry -
>I don't know the exact station). I could not believe my ears when I
>thought I heard them say FERRET!! They read a letter that one of
>their listeners sent in and it mentioned the Buckeye Bash and how
>they are invited to be at the next one, HOFA, and the TV show (of
>course I recognized their laughter expressing the thought "crazy
>ferret people" - Oh well...) I found it really interesting that letter
>writer claimed that HOFA was involved in "rescuing" over six hundred
>ferrets - funny seen as my impression was it was a team of one. Is
>HOFA now claiming to have helped this individual with the actual
>purchase/rescue???...
>
> [JC]

For those of you that read yesterday's FML, specifically the post
regarding The Bob and Tom radio show, I offer my comments.

I am the author of said letter that was read on the air on February
13, 2008. If you are a member to Bob and Tom you can hear the archives
www.bobandtom.com

My letter was in response to a conversation that Bob, Tom, Christy and
Chick were having about half way through the first hour. The original
conversation was regarding the Westminster Dog Show. Chick then
chimed in and stated that he had watched a show about ferrets. This
conversation escalated and eventually Bob and Tom ribbed Chick that he
should be this years Grand Marshall at the show. After hearing this I
emailed a letter to the B&T show as that type of publicity could do
wonders for our Ferret Buckeye Bash show and could help to raise funds
to assist in our rescue efforts.

My letter to the Bob & Tom Show:

Hi Bob & Tom, Chick & Christy,

I am on the board of directors for The Heart of Ohio Ferret Association
& Rescue (HOFA), the sponsor of The Buckeye Ferret Bash in Columbus OH.
I heard your conversation on the radio this morning and I will say that
HOFA would be proud to have Chick be our guest of honor at this year's
Buckeye Ferret Bash. The Buckeye Ferret Bash is the largest ferret show
in the country. The documentary that Chick watched in Hi-Def did not
even scratch the surface of what is going on in the ferret community.
This past year HOFA was involved in a rescue of over 600 ferrets from
one location. These animals were distributed throughout homes across
the entire United States and Canada. I will send Chick this years
calendar and some HOFA T-Shirts for the group. Chick made the statement
that he would be proud to be Grand Marshall and I am taking him up on
his words. I am also a proud member of BobandTom.com. YOU GUYS ROCK!

For those that do not know, The Bob & Tom Show is a nationally
syndicated show and they have a HUGE following. Having them even talk
about ferrets is a BIG deal. After hearing their conversation in the
first hour I responded. Half way through the third hour Chick read my
letter on air and a verbal commitment was made to attend our show.
Now that you have the background let me say this:

My intentions in contacting B&T were not self serving. I joined HOFA
because of my love of animals and because I wanted to do something
that would make a difference. I author the hofarescue.org site and
the Nationalferretrescue.org site and I do not expect a dime.

As for my comments concerning the rescue, I was there. Many, many great
people helped in this rescue. I did not state that HOFA performed the
rescue. I stated that HOFA was involved in the rescue. The point was
simply to convey an interesting ferret story to Chick. Truth be known,
HOFA volunteers comprised 7 of the 9 people present to remove the
ferrets from the McKay property and I cannot begin to tell you what
a treat that day was. HOFA has never bragged or advertised this fact
because we are not here to gain from the misfortune of others. We
simply want ferrets to get a fair shake. Why were other rescues not
involved in the initial rescue? I do not know.

The rescue was initialized by Lori Sies. I say initialized because I
do not think an ounce of planning went into it nor would she have stood
a chance without the droves of volunteers that stepped up to her aid.
HOFA was asked to assist. We assisted. As for your rescue / buyout
comment; The rescue was a buyout. Myself and another member of HOFA
distinctly heard the conversation between Doug and Lori of "$30 times
700 ferrets - that's $21,000".  HOFA was not aware of this beforehand
but had we known we still would have helped. The bottom line is that
the ferrets are out of there and in my book, that is a win. HOFA does
not condone the purchase of rescue animals but that is between Lori,
her conscience and her tax accountant.

I am not sure what point this anonymous poster was really trying to
make but I hope I have cleared up any confusion. I am not posting
anonymously because I stand by my words. Feel free to contact me with
any questions or to get on the Bob and Tom train.

Michael - [log in to unmask]