Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:27:39 EDT
Wow what a week.  Rescues coming in like crazy lately and so many sick
ones.  My rescue program has merged with HOFA.  It just makes sense that
as a member, and webmaster for the Club to do so.  Silly to remain
independent as I get more and more involved with the Club.  The web
pages will be updated soon.

We lost Bud.  He and Pepsi had their surgeries last Wednesday.  I was hand
feeding them around the clock for four days prior, and still little Bud
was wasting away.  Great appetite, too much sickness.  He made it two days
after the surgery, but developed an ulcer.  His poor diseased body could
not fight any more.  I'm afraid I lost my dignity while on the phone with
Dr. Beer when he told me the news.  It would have been a miracle if Bud
survived, but still I had hoped and prayed and tried so very hard to make
him well.  He died knowing he was loved, and not neglected in the end.  It
still hurts but I can manage with only a little tearing of the eyes and
without the heartbreaking pain of losing him.

The next morning we lost Vinnie.  Vinnie's tumor was so big, you could
feel it through his tummy.  It was large enough that Dr. Beer believed it
had to be fused with his liver or some other vital organ making it
impossible to remove.  He would have had to be sent to the Bridge anyway.
He was the next to go for surgery but couldn't hang on.  Unlike Bud,
Vinnie was owner surrendered.  We are looking into the process of having
his former owners charged with neglect.  I am sickened and shamed by my
fellow "humans" and furious that they left these poor animals to die in
someone else's care, with not a worry in the world anymore, just dumping
them so they don't have to deal with it.  But at least I know these
ferrets died being cared for, nursed, and loved.  Someone who got up at
midnight, 3 am and 6 am to feed them on time and make sure they had their
medicines.  Someone who washed their sick bodies and made special soft
blankies to keep their furless skin comfortable.

We have a LOT more rescues come in, but three found homes last week!  One
new guy is relay really sick.  Can't stand, control his body functions,
or anything.  Such a sad case.  He has had an xray and is going in to be
examined this afternoon.  Hopefully I will have good news tomorrow for
you.

Kim Wolf
Mystyx Arctic Breed Canine,
and Ferret Rescue of Galloway, Ohio