From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 19:46:18 -0400
Ear Mites:

Yep, we've had them too.  It is fairly easy (not real easy) to clean ferrets
ears without putting them under.  Most people I know do it at least every
few weeks.  You do have to clean the ears well before administering the ear
mite medicine.  We use a Cholorohex Flush that we got from our vet.  Squeese
a few drops into each ear (you'll probably have to scruff the ferret while
you do this), take your first finger and thumb on each side of the head and
work the flush into the ears; then let them shake it out.  Wipe the inner
surface of the ears with a cotton swab.  Then drop about 2 drops of
ivermectin solution (made up by your vet) into each ear and repeat working
the solution in.  Repeat in 10 days.  The first treatment will kill all of
the live mites.  The second treatment will kill any eggs that might hatch.
I'd do all of the ferrets, just in case.  I'd also wash the bedding and cage
rugs after each treatment.

Vaccinations: Did the ferret get a rabies vaccination?  Unless the ferret
was at least 3 months old, it doesn't matter.  If you didn't get a
certificate signed by the administering vet, it doesn't matter.  Get the
vaccinations redone, but separate the rabies from the distemper vaccinations
by at least 2 weeks; pretreat about 20 - 40 minutes before the vaccinations
with 0.5 cc of oral pediatric benadryl.  Stay at the vet's office for at
least 30 minutes after the vaccinations, and watch for reactions.  If you
see anything unusual, vomitting, poofing, loss of bowel or bladder control,
shout for the vet.

Coats and eating and shedding

It is that time of year.  At least in the northern climes of NH-USA.  I've
found that ferrets seem to shed and put on winter fat at different times and
rates.  Some never seem to get their winter coats, until suddenly your faced
with this "stranger" in you midst with a long fluffy coat; often of a
different color.  Then again, some decide to wear their 'shorts' the year
round.  Same with fat.  We have some that double their weight.  Some stay
skinny the year round.  All seem healthy and happy.  It could be that some
are more sensitive to the artificial lights than other.  I don't know.  I've
just learned to enjoy them in what ever coats they decide to wear, and don't
worry unless they get obviously sick.

Young ferret: Ferrets seem to be most vocal when young and get quieter as
they get older.  There is always the exception though.  As to nipping,
generally they learn to grab a little easier as they get older, especially
if you keep reminding them just what the limits are.

Dick B