From:
"Margaret Zick (and Stan, Ollie and Jezebel)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:48:34 -0500
>Also, the act of scratching (trees, scratching posts, etc.) exercises a
>lot of the cat's muscles, and their balance is permanently affected by
>declawing.  Declawed cats often bite more.
>Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints

I have hesitated getting into the discussion of declawing. But I must take
issue with the above statements. I have had 6 declawed cats, some by my
choice, some came that way. Currently I have 3, one of whom was declawed on
all 4 feet (not advisable) and defanged (ditto) by the previous owners. I
have *never* seen any evidence that the above statements are true(in my
cats). All 6 of my cats (declaws included) use the a scratch post frequently.
None of the cats have a balance problem. None of the cats are biters. Two I
had declawed at the age of 10, they are no more agressive or passive than
before. I have 3 new cats, at one year or less and do not plan on having any
of them declawed. I had very strong reasons for doing it then and would only
consider it under similar circumstances. I do not routinely declaw. It was a
very hard choice.

I don't feel that comparing declawing ferrets to cats is the thing to do.
Ferrets have claws like dogs, not cats.  They use their claws in similar
ways to dogs.  Their claws are non-retractible.  I am not a vet but looking
at my reference books for dogs and cats skeletal structures (I don't have
one for ferrets, yet)it seems that the construction of the toes are
different.  Dogs walk on their toes.  Cats walk on their pads.  If this is
true with ferrets too (and I can hear my ferrets toenails when they walk,
just like a dog) then declawing would certainly harm them.  I think you must
be a good parent, stock up on linatone, bite the bullet and trim them little
toenails.;)

I am sorry to go on so long, but as I said, it is an emtional issue.

Margaret and the Zick Zoo
Stan (oh look, she has ferretone!)
Ollie (yea, but she has clippers too!)
Jezebel (run away! run away!)