From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 11:59:00 -0400
On training ferrets not to nip.  I tend to be rather more mellow with the
guys.  Bitter Apple on your hands and feet doesn't hurt the ferret.  In fact
they associate the nip with the bad taste.  Bitter Apple on a Q Tip forced
in the ferrets mouth, on the other hand, forms an association with being
picked up by you and "bad things".  Same with nose flicking.  We've had very
good luck with CONSISTANCY and the scruff and shake method of training,
always followed by lots of petting and scritching.  Immediately after a nip,
scruff the ferret by the back of the neck and rest their body against your
forearm, then shake the ferret firmly (not so as to cause whip lash, but
like a moma ferret might do) and yell at them "NO!" and continue with the
scolding in a loud voice.  Then the calm, loving voice and stroking.  Let
them know immediately that what they did was wrong, bu that you love them.
I would do nothing that they would associate "bad things" with being held or
picked up.

Declawing: My personal opinion.  Don't do it.  Their claws are like fingers;
used to grip and hold.  They are not retractable.  They are used for
walking.  It would be like a person having their fingers and toes cut off.
Clear carpet runners tacked to the floors through the doorways (as someone
elsee suggested) works to keep them from digging.

Vaccinations: If you've given the yearly distemper shots several times, your
ferret is protected.  Keep it up every year.  If the ferret has never had a
distemper shot, a series of two, spaced 3-4 weeks apart is usually
recommended.

Dick B.