From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 18:45:38 -0400
Kelleen,

MY book doesn't recommend bathing ferrets every 4-6 weeks <G>.  It goes with
a recommendation of 3-4 times a year or "as needed" like when our silver
mitt played in the powdered sugar, or our red-eyed white got in the
fireplace.  I've found that frequent bathing leads to an increase in ferret
body-odor as well as dry skin.  Young kits do need more frequent bathing
though, but I add Avon Skin So Soft in the rinse water to keep from drying
the skin.

Mane and Tail conditioner made by Straight Arrow (for horses) does wonders
for giving the coat a luster and a fresh smell.  (Works on humans too.)  Use
it sparingly, however,  unless you like your ferret, punk.  (It will anyway
for a short time, but after it "soaks in" the greasy-kid look goes away.)

Dick B.