From:
Karen Rochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:53:36 EST
Hi,my names Lysira this is in regards of the questions a few of my fellow
fmlers have asked about TF food.  Some of you have asked what is the
difference bewteen TF and other brands.  First TF has more crude protein :
36 % and less crude fiber,only 10 % than the other brands we are Personally
familiar with.  The actual ingrediants are mostly the same as any Good food
out there,with these exceptions.  Also the size and shapes are smaller,and
it comes as circles,X's , and small pellet types.  Some ferrets that are
smaller find this type easier to chew,and it appeals to finicky eaters.
This comes from My Personal experience with my own small fuzzy.  She is
almost a year old and weighs 1 1/2 pnds.  She loves this food,while she
will eat very little else as her main diet.  Don't get me wrong,I'm not
claiming that All finicky eaters,or small ferrets such as mine will like
it,but ours certainly do.  And these are the differences in the foods we're
familiar in our area.  Just for your info,I live in nw. Ma. a small city
called Leominster.

***** I've noticed lately a lot of messages have been posted concerning MF
fuzzies.  I thought we should get in on this as well,as we currently are
Owned by 3 of these ferrets!  Of our 3,only our Little Female Sable;
Princess Neesa has had any problems!  For, she Is Small.as I already
mentioned she only weighs 1 1/2 pnds.  And getting her up to this has been
a Mayor Struggle !  We had a lot of help from Pat Greene's ferret helpers
over on Ferret Central .  But despite this,she's been farely healthy and
active since we took her Home!  As for her Nature she is the Sweetest,
gentlest little girl I've ever seen.  She Never nips,or bites !  What she
lacks in size she gained in Personality and Intelligence!  The other 2 are
males,another sable namwed Chips,and a silver point named Smokey !  Chips
is the same age as Neesa and weighs a hefty 2 1/2 pnds.  While Smokey is 10
wks. old and comes in at about 2 pnds.  Neither of these guys is prone to
excessive nipping,or biting!  Chips as only nipped a few times,but that was
when he got carried away playing.  We merely pick him up and hold a few
minutes and he calms right down!  Smokey was hard to handle at first,having
clearly not been held much,but within one wk.  he already calming down and
easing of on his chewing and nipping!  Now he only nips when he forgets
himself,wich we expect cause he's only 10 wks.  old !  All 3 made great
little ambassadors for their kind this week-end when we took our gang out
for a visit to the local park!  Our 4th.  Gretta came from a shelter,and
does bite now,and then when she wants Extra attention,or her treats
immediately.  But even she was a great little lady!  ****

***** Now for my questions.  There are only 2 of them.  The first is about
our little guy Smokey.  As I've said,he's coming along just fine,but for
one thing.  We like to give treats to the others when their really good,
or as a reward for messing in their litter pans.  The older ones will take
just about anything we offer,though mostly we use cherrios and a peanut
butter candy treat made in Europe,they just love it!  But Smokey will take
none of this!  He doesn't willingly take ferritone,nutrical, petromault, or
ferritvite,never mind a cheerio,or these candies!  Do you have any
suggestions we might try to offer him?

The 2nd. is I live in Leominster , Ma. we have a very Good vet for our
Other animals,and he is ferret friendly,but not very ferret knowledeable.
He's learning and does the best he can,but we've been reading a lot lately
about the more serious illnesses our furries could get,and we're Concerned.
Does anyone know of a ferret Knowledgeable vet in this area ?  If you know
of someone please either post it on the FML,or e-mail me at

          **** Lastly,here's my little tale about our furries.
One day,Mom Terry thought it would be better to move our cage.  The phone
rang,and she turned her back from the Kids to answer it!  Our little Neesa
felt this was the perfect time to do a little Free - Spirited Exploring on
her own!  What Mom didn't realise was that when she moved the cage a little
to close to the board wich we hold up with nails.  Their room,doesn't have
a door,so the cat can come and go as she pleases,but the fuzzies are held
in by piece of plywood wich completely covers the doorway,and is nearly as
tall as the doorway!  This method had Always been sufficient to keep our
friends safe as we only let them out when we're there with them!

But this day,Mom turned away and hadn;t noticed my sly look,or the mischief
in my eye,and that call kept her busy just long enough ..... I bolted as
fast as my legs could go,and discovered to my glee,that today from the top
of my cage I could reach that piece of wood that has been so,ooo
exasperating as to block my path !  I made it!  But before I could get over
and really see what was out there , I slipped !  Oh,no !  Now here comes
that Gretta oh my goodness Chips too!  While I know how I can stop them
from tattaling on me ,or giving the game up to Momma, I'll teach them too!
Yeah guys this way!  Just like this follow me !  That;s it ,just a little
further now.  Allright,there goes Chips,he slipped again,one day he's just
gotta learn to leap further!  But here comes Gretta she's gonna make it
too!  There!  We;ve made it to that mean ol' board,now it's just a matter
of dropping down there on that side!  Just our luck even that big ole'
critter wi all the fur isn't around!  We're gonna make it !

"Hey,what are you two Ladies up to now?  UH,Uh,hhhh ,Neesa why do you
always have to be the one to teach the others the dirty littles tricks?"

"oh,phooyey,the other Mom,just Had to show up now ! "

Well that's our little tale,as told by Princess Neesa.

Neesa : " Hey! ... That's my tweetey!
Chips : " Hey ! ... This isn't the good stuff!<frowning . . . >
Gretta : " Allright, give it up... Mom I want that cheerio your hiding!
Smokey : " Come on,Play with me ; Pl l l e ease! < wo - begone , lost
expression with big sad black  eyes.>