From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 11:02:01 -0500
>>I do feel that expiration dates are placed on things for a reason, and am
>>not sure that I would want to use expired medications or foods for the
>>fuzzies in my charge.
>
>Yes, this is true, but if you are familiar with a product, the expiration
>date is just a "warning" of "the time is almost up" more than it really has
>gone bad.

Most food products date code their packages for "guaranteed freshness",
however, manufacturers or canneries vary and can push this date to a
maximum.  And this date is valid ONLY under reasonable transportation and
storage practices.

But when it comes to medications, it is a different criteria altogether.
The exp.  date is a reasonable *safe* guarantee of the limit the medication
is stable providing optimum storage and care.  With medications, it is not
just the available active ingredient that is important but also how it is
assimilated once administered.  Further, it is usually ill-advised to split
or break apart some medications that incorporate coatings or time release
formulations due to this critical assimilation.

Some medications are photosensitive, many are temperature and humidity
sensitive (most to extreme degree changes like in and out of refrigeration)
and some are sensitive to levels of air left in the sealed container.
Careful consideration is given when manufacturers and pharmacists package or
repackage medications.  Medications should not be stored or transferred into
inappropriate containers that are either too large, untinted(when required),
incompatible material, etc..

Some believe generic medications are inferior to original manufacturers.
There have been some data collected that appear to support this, such as
findings of large variations in potency and in some cases, stability that
may be due to different binders and or processes being used, and even
patient reported or observed responses; and there appears to be some classes
of medications that appear more prone to generic instability or
incompatibility than others such as for thyroid disorders.  The findings for
these variations are not entirely clear nor are they conclusive.  Suffice to
say that some debate continues and different practices exist.

Some, but not all medications change color, consistency and/or appearance
when degrading, and your pharmacist can often tell you what to look out for.
Many pharmaceutical companies offer a toll free number offering another
source of information.  Remember, whenever medication is dispensed to you,
you are entitled to the full "insert" or Pt information supplied *by* the
manufacturer, and not just an abridged printout often offered by some drug
stores.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi