From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 05:20:09 -0500
>"Nancy J. Donnelly" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets for therapy

As you know, the use of cats and dogs in therapy has long been established
and patient outcomes are often improved, some remarkably.  Lesser is known
on more uncommon pets, and I don't recall anything on the effects of guppies!
The generalizability of these data cannot be automatically assumed across
different animals.

Cats can transmit several serious infections especially for those with
depressed immuno-deficiency disorders or pregnant women.  Uniquely, ferrets
can actively transmit colds.

My concerns about ferrets in therapy fall into two categories.  The first
concern being patient welfare.  A ferret's disposition, like most animals,
can vary greatly.  However, non-geriatric ferrets generally have a greater
and more unpredictable level of play over time.  Some may still nip or
scratch.  Ok, I realize there is a wide avenue of contrary feelings about
this, and I seriously doubt any of *my* fuzzbutts would inflict any harm ;-).
However, I cannot speak for other ferrets and the general practice of erring
on the side of pt welfare is of primary value.

My second concern is for ferret welfare.  Ferrets are much more fragile than
dogs and even cats.  Ferrets also require a MUCH higher level of care both
in handling and maintenance.  This may be contrary to the indications when
considering those with a diagnosis of PTSD.  There is much less latitude for
a safe and happy ferret than there are for dogs and cats, and even probably
guppies.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi