From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 08:53:25 -0500
>I have read Pam Greens FAQ, and a lot of other information pages.  I
understood I shouldn't use pine woodchips as litter, but I haven't found out
>yet which litter I SHOULD use...Sand?  A cloth?  Any bought stuff?  ...

Ok, there are two popular litters available for ferrets.  The first is
compressed recycled paper like "Yesterday's News", and the second is
compressed pine pellets such as "Feline Pine".  Both are suitable, the paper
being more inert, and the pelletized pine appears slightly more absorbant
(according to some experimentation) and odor canceling.  The first is
available at most pet stores, and the second is available at many pet stores
and supermarkets.  In close quarters, even the pelletized pine may not be
suitable due to a minimum amount of "scent" which is believed to be harmful
to the ferret respiratory system.  However under "normal" conditions this
should not be a concern.  Whenever changing a litter, please do so *very*
gradually and always leave a little poop so the fuzzbutts don't confuse the
litter box for a play box!  About a 3/4"-1" layer of either type is
sufficient and you will need to refresh the box daily.

>What I would like to know, is one sex a little (or a lot) more aggressive,
>outgoing, and stand offish than the other?

Ok, you'll liable to get some variation in response, but from my experience,
ferrets like people can be highly individual.  This especially holds true
for "fixed" and descented ferrets.  Either sex, when excited, will give off
a stronger scent; even just after a bath!  As far as affection, ferrets will
generally give what they receive and are used to, especially if demonstrated
very young and consistently.  Some humans will say their "boys" are more
affectionate, while others may say their "girls" are more so, however, once
again, much relies on what each animal " receives " and some humans may not
realize that they are responding to different sexes differently perhaps
causing any disparity.

Male ferrets that are not neutered can be more aggressive at certain
periods, although this in and of itself should not be a reason for ANY
surgical procedure.  Ferrets that are "descented" have had their primary
scent glands removed only, meaning they can no longer "poof", but they can
still smell from time to time and bathing can actually aggravate this.  The
"poofing" smell dissipates quickly, and is NOT to be confused with feline
"spraying", which can be highly noxious AND permanently damaging to
surrounding areas.  Actually, I *like* the way ferrets generally smell!

>And what are the most indispensable toys, sleeping bags/hammocks, and other
>accessories for ferrets?

The most indispensable toys are boxes, paper, and krinkly bags!  And they're
FREE!  It is a good idea to have a "squeaky" toy on hand for your own use in
case you suddenly find your ferret missing.  Ferrets generally find the
noise irresistible and will even come out of hiding to investigate!  Stay
away from all rubber toys as ferrets can swallow small pieces and get very
ill.  A new product called "Cheweasel" has received many raves from ferret
owners.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi