From:
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:51:04 -0700
>From:    David Krozier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A couple of fuzzy questions
>Question 1. What is the difference between Canine and Feline Distemper???

From the point of view of FERRETS, canine distemper is a disease ferrets can
get, feline distemper is a disease which it is currently believed is not a
risk.

>Question 2. Can you add meat to your fuzzies diet???

Yes.  We do.  Some advise against it including Dr. Willard of Performance
Foods for reasons of "freshness" among other things.

>Question 3. Is it a good idea to get them licenced even though the state

Probably can't hurt.

>Question 4. Has anyone heard of the newest way of identifing your lost
>            ferret with microchips

We are unimpressed with the technology - and for me (bill) that is
significant since I am a computer engineer.  I don't think the technology is
widespread enough to justify the cost.  Most shelters will not look for the
chip so it is probably useless.  I do know of ferrets that have had medical
reactions to the implants.  I see it as a net negative - this year.  No
prediction for three years from now though - technology may ripen soon.

>Question 5. I gave Pepe' a bath and afterwards he ran in circles

Sounds typical for our ferrets.  Wouldn't worry.

>From:    Kim Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need more ferret advice
>First, she told me that he needs to be on heartworm medication [...]
>Second, she recommended "Laxatone", [...] Can ferrets get hair balls
>like cats?

Yes twice, these are common recommendations.

>Finally, she told me that he MUST be on a ferret-food diet.

We just went around on this.  No ferret food is not required but certain
ferret foods are "better" than cat foods.  Certain cat foods are better than
certain ferret foods.  We recommend first Totally Ferret.  Mazuri or
Marshall Ferret foods next.  Eukanuba cat next.  Iams, Innova and other
cat/kitten foods after that.  8in1 after that.  Certain ferret foods that
come in clear plastic bags are about the level of say Purina Cat chow or
Meow Mix.  Other foods that I inadvertantly left out are just that,
inadvertant.  We use TF and Iams for reasons beyond pure health of the
ferrets (cost and availibility) - as always everything is a set of
compromises.

Mixing foods is probably a good idea.

>From:    Elizabeth Draus <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My nerves are frayed and I'm losing sleep over this
>These...these...creatures (cute creatures but never mind) will ***not*** go
>in their litterbox!!!!  I've reached the end of my rope.  ...

This is the single topic we get questioned about the most.  This is also the
single area we too feel most nearly helpless.  If we had an answer we'd have
given it many many times by now.

>From:  William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: GLFA show? ; FFZ list
>>PS: Has anyone who entered the Chicago show received a confirmation
>We're still waiting for our confirmation.

Came today...

Lastly...

Not sure what to make of the "outdoor" ferret controversy.  We shouldn't
get into debates that devolve into "You don't care for your ferrets if..."

We've had our say.  If you don't want to keep your ferret outside, fine.
We don't want to keep ours outside either.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]