From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 05:13:10 +0000
Okay, I've finally been moved to make a few comments...

Betty states:
>Making a living off of animals in my mind is wrong.

That is your mind, and I won't go into that issue...but perhaps you have
missed the repeated statements that the breeders you appear to be
attacking...specifically the small personal breeder...are not, repeat NOT
making a living off of their breedings.  It's done for love, not money.
Then why charge for kits at all, if you're going to breed?  Aside from
maybe recouping *some* cost, which certainly does not qualify as making a
living, someone who is asked to shell out something of recognized value
(money) for an item (be it ferret or stereo set) often think about the
acquisition more, and most will be inclined to take better care of the
item.  Obviously this is not a hard and fast rule, and before you (or
anyone) go spouting off about all the poor ferrets in shelters, of which
there are entirely too many, I agree, what about all the ferrets that
AREN'T.  Look at the rate that kits from the large, major breeders are
being sold in some areas...and while those areas typically have shelters
that are overflowing, it's still only a small percentage (though still too
large!) of the ferrets being sold and well cared for.

Betty also says:
>No animal asks to be bred - we make that choice for them.
and makes a couple references to playing G*d (I'm assuming the reference
here is to God)

Breeding...the reproductive cycle is a NATURAL part of ANY animal's life.
NEUTERING AND SPAYING is NOT, and this is MUCH more playing God than
keeping a responsible eye on a natural act by making sure that mate
selection under domesticated circumstances is done with some modicum of
sense.

Forget about it being right or wrong, but don't talk about playing God
in breeding in a negative manner if you advocate artifically removing
something from an animal...for whatever reason...that God put there in the
first place.

Sue and fuzzy five.

Sue