Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:01:51 -0600
Hi All!

Time for a quick update on the two little fur bundles of the musty
persuasion.  It seems, that after all was said and done, we ended up
sticking to the two names we started calling them.  Thanks to those, in
all their efforts for sending me wonderful names... tucked away for safe
keeping as January is right around the corner and the local shelter will
be a callin'!

Mushu, who is named after the little dragon from Mulan, turns out to be her
name sake.  She is a little hellion who has such a soft side.  She is deaf
and this is a new experience for me.  She makes up for her lack of hearing
by being in tune with everything that goes on around her.  She is forever
looking at everything at the same time.  It took me a day to realize she
could not hear.  And at first I thought that I would not be able to talk to
her the same way as her sister, but as a week and a half has shown, I
couldn't be further from my fears.  She is smart, (naturally, she's a
female ferret) and has already learned the hand position I give her to lift
her up.  She learned that by day 4.  I am excited by this new challenge of
communication.  I have discovered not to mess with her when she has her
favorite toy - I have never seen such lightening fast reflexes and heard so
many different loud, defiant hisses.  She has taught me to move my fingers
away faster or suffer the consequences.  Medic!

Ping, who is named after the lead character in Mulan, also turns out to be
quite fitting as Mulan disguised herself as a boy.  Ping was sold as a boy,
but was obviously a female.  Ping is also short for Ping Pong as in
bouncing ball... I can't keep up to her.  Energy driven and a no sh*t kind
of ferret.  I walked up to her watching her play with a kinder egg and she
didn't notice me.  When she finally realized I was there, she gave me two
sharp barks and a wonderful series of hisses.  Her stubby little tail
bottle-brushed up and then she threw herself upon me.  It brought tears to
my eyes... it has been some time that I have felt true joy.  She too, has
learned the hand lift sign quickly.  She is Mushu's chew toy.  On many
occasions I have seen Ping's patience as she allows herself to be used in
this fashion.  I will learn allot from her.

Both ladies got a clean bill of health from the vet and will be returning
for their booster this week.  They have picked their bedding site and I
couldn't be more pleased.  They have chosen the hiding spot Tinder enjoyed
most behind the waterbed.  It is warm and cozy and dark.  For being as
little as they are they have already found the route to make it on top of
the water bed to greet us in the morning and nip at us while we sleep.
They know where all the litter boxes and newspapers are and have been
really good in using them.  The only accident came when one of the older
ferrets left a marking doodle.  Well, the girls had to respond, they had
no choice.

Mulan and Ping love Chook.  This is odd because Chook hates all women
except Smudge, whom he lost a few years ago.  Chook, who normally goes
after any female, has decided to be their daddy.  He appears patient and
calm around them.  It is fascinating to watch.  Taero has flipped the other
way.  Normally the loving everybody ferret, has decided to take Chook's
former role.  We keep careful watch when he is around now.  Kind of a shame
really.  I feel though, that it may be just a temporary thing.  Bear, whom
the girls were brought home for, has retreated more than ever.  She comes
to me in the morning like she use to but instead of staying for play time,
she takes her treats and runs.  I put the three together for short periods
so that they can get use to each other slowly.  The hopeful sign I see is
that she is not spraying when she is around them.

All in all, things look well.  The new tube-climb-orama is presently being
built and the girls will be introduced to the wonderful world of slides....
Whhhheeeeeeeeeee!

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
Hey, the girls finally outnumber the boys!  Batten down the hatches!