From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:00:05 -0700
Ferret bonding - my experience...

All of them are different. You do have to watch and see, like the other
person said.

Sometimes you can't tell until you try it. If you want, if someone
picks out the ferrets you are going to adopt out and one is from a
bonded pair and they don't want the other, split them up for two weeks
or more before they are finally adopted out. Don't let them see each
other at all....that will give you your first clue. Then I would
include in the contact that if either stopped eating or became ill,
that they person either bring back the mate or adopt the second mate (I
never charged money for the ferrets so it wouldn't cost them more
money).

Sometimes you just KNOW who is definitely bonded and other times, you
have no clue and find out that someone was bonded to someone you would
have never guessed. Or, you get a family of ferrets who all really
don't care who they are with as long as they are with "someone". I find
that the trial separation method works really well...

Laryssa