From:
Philip Langley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:04:09 +0800
I am still reeling from the shock of Kodo's death.  I honestly thought we
were on a roll - I believed all the media attention and public awareness of
Kodo's plight would encourage sanity and reason to prevail and that the
Supreme Court would order Kodo's return to his family.

I guess I am naive or stupid, maybe both, thinking that David (Kodo) would
beat Goliath (a government department intent on his destruction).  Perhaps
Kodo was doomed from the very beginning - certainly the spiteful force that
Animal Control went after him seems to bear that assumption out.

To Bob & Kathy and their family, I can only offer our deepest sympathy.  The
fact that they didn't meekly succumb to having Kodo euthanised right at the
beginning shows a wonderful strength of character and both Philip and I hope
that Kodo's death will be the catalyst for some very necessary changes to
the rabies testing problem.  If we can assist in any other way with this,
let us know.

Judging from some of the horror stories we have heard from folks on the FCS,
I have a suggestion.  All of you ferret owners in kill & test states should
up anchor and emigrate to Australia ... at least you'll be able to walk the
streets and parks with your furpals without fear of rabies :-)

We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to meet so many fine people
during the fight for Kodo's release and salute you all.

Philip & Nona