From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 08:23:23 -0500
to Dave Gould in the UK

Welcome to the FML!  Hope you have as much fun with it as we have had!

I'd like to comment on some of your suggestions:

1)  I disagree with you on the kit vs adult - there is nothing wrong
with adopting an adult ferret.  Some of my best ferrets have been
adult rescues and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  We don't use
ferrets for working in the States - I think I can safely say they are
strictly pets - part of the family.  They don't have to do anything for
us except love us and stay healthy.  An adult ferret can give as much
love as a kit - and if it's been abused or neglected, they are so thankful
for being saved, sometimes they love a little more.  (Yes, Rudy, I'm
amorphotizing or whatever the word is!)

2)  We try to discourage the average ferret owner from breeding and
leave it to those with the time, patience, and understanding of the
process - which is a difficult one.  My entire vacation shedule is
based just about 100 percent on when litters are due so I can be home.
When the kits reach 4 weeks of age, I take more vacation so I can
socialize and play with them, as well as wean.  And be prepared for
vet expenses if problems arise - and they sometimes do.

The ferret population must be quite high in the UK if they are priced
at $2 - $4/ferret - there must be a lot of breeding going on - do all
these ferrets find homes????  Again, I'm sure the fact that we don't
hunt with our ferrets (It was outlawed in New York State years ago)
gives us a totally different perspective and outlook on these wonderful
little animals.

It's interesting to see another viewpoint.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY