From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 20:31:29 -0800
To Tetsura Oka:
>There is one approved distemper vaccine in US.  But no approved vaccine in
>Japan.  I want to ask veterinarians here.  If you were in Japan,which do
>you use Fervac-D or Fromm-D(Galaxy-D).  Of course both ware not approved in
>Japan.

    Well, you've certainly got it straight.  I think if I was dealing with
ferrets in a country where neither was approved, I would probably go with
Fromm-D, because there are less reactions (but remember, you may still see
some.) That would answer the "safer" part of your question.

    As far as effective - we have no knowledge of Fromm-D effectiveness in
protecting ferrets from distemper.  Fervac-D has been tested in ferrets and
approved by the USDA.  Currently, I have some questions in my mind about
Fervac's actual effectiveness, but certainly it has the better track record.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP