From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 02:33:41 -0800
To Sheena:

>>...  she had orange tearing around her eyes, so much of it that it has
>stained her face although I have tried wiping her eyes down periodically.
>Her nose was so clogged up that I had to pull the mucus away with my
>fingers (sorry to be graphic).  She breathes fairly shallow and rapid and
>there is some blood around her anal area.

Sheena - it sounds like this poor ferret realy needs some help.  I think a
lot of her problems are most likely the result of poor condition, including
the orange tearing and the mucus around the nose (probably just the result
of her not cleaning her face, as normal ferrets are want to do.) The blood
around the anus is more of a concern, as it strongly suggests the
possibility of a gastric ulcer.  Her shakiness, weakness, and the fact that
her owner left glucose with you may mean that she also has an insulinoma
which is not being properly treated.

I understand your dilemma about taking ferrets to the vet.  If you are not
already doing it, I would make it part of the drop-off procedure that you
are entitled to be able to take the ferret to the vet should you think it
needs attention, and to be reimbursed for it.  It certainly seems as if this
old girl needs a good check up.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology