From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:21:18 EDT
>If risks don't show up I'd like to discuss this with his vet as a
>possible addition to his baby food treats.
>
>I seem to have lost Mary's addy.

Hello Sukie ~

If you were looking for me about Tumeric I'm happy to answer.  Tumeric
(Curcuma longa) is listed in Mary Tilford's book on Herbs & Pets as
useable by pets.  It helps with blood cleansing, is analgesic,
anticoagulating(so do not use with blood conditions), antifungal,
anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and works on circulatory
problems.  However, I would only use it in very minute amounts for
ferrets.  It is sold as a powder mostly, and a tiny amount sprinkled
across food may help.

As herbal medicine tries to use the purest form of herb, I would not get
the powder from a grocery store, but a health food store.  Many of our
grocery imports are irradiated at our place of import (not at the
exporters).  The USA does it and of course does not advertise this.  Also
many powders sit in warehouses and the shelf-life of a ground powder is
only about 6 months.  So go to a health food store and ask them about
freshness.  and of course look for "organically grown."

Since this herb is a strong one I would not use it as a tincture or a
tea spread across food.  Tinctures tend to make a herbal compound
stronger, and a tea can also become too strong.  Tumeric is one of those
herbs in Chinese medicine that is known as a "warming" herb.  For that
reason I would not give to animals in warm climates.  We learned when
studying Chinese herbs not to give "warming" herbs in a warm season, or
"cooling" herbs in cold seasons.  But to aim to seek a balance of the
bodily condition by giving warm herbs in cold seasons, and cooling herbs
in warm seasons.

Warmly ~
Mary
Herbalist