From:
Vickie LoMonaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:51:32 -0500
Greene Sandra,[log in to unmask],Internet writes:
>Have you tried, not mixing the ferret food with the dog food, but putting
>them separately into a container and letting the ferret food absorb the
>odors of the dog food?  Might fool him into eating the ferret food.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried, actually, before the newest three
members of the family came home.  It had no success.  Then I tried
powdering dog food and sprinkling his food (Eukanuba kitten) with it, along
with a little warm water.  That worked okay.  I also tried putting a tiny
bit of sugar on his food because he loves sugar (yes, I know it's bad, but
I'm desperate).  That worked a wee bit better.  Then I switched the
powdered dog food to powdered Purina kitten chow, which I guess tastes a
little bit better than Eukanuba though Eukie is the much better food.  We
were doing okay with all of this, and had stopped wetting it down and
powdering it so much, and he had gained some (though not enough) weight.
We took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago, just before we brought our
new three home, and he got a clean bill of health, though the vet said
she'd like to see him gain a bit of weight (he weighed 1.9 pounds then; she
said he should be more like 2.5 for his size).

Now that we brought the rest home, his weight has plummeted again, and I'm
feeding him constantly, everything I can shove in his mouth.  He's probably
back down close to a pound again-- just skin and bones.  Now I've seperated
him from the rest, I've got him back in his old small cage, and I've got,
like, four plates of four different kinds of foods, plus raisins and fruit
loops, plus a bowl of Duck Soup, in his cage with him.  He HATES Duck Soup,
by the way.  He actually does seem to be eating, and he's pooping okay, but
I can still feel every little bone, and if he's healthy then why doesn't he
gain weight?