From:
Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:53:16 EDT
Hi everyone,

First of all, WOW, BIG THANKS TO everyone who responded about Jester.  We
got some great ideas, ideas apparently the two vets he's been to see either
haven't thought of, or were saving for other visits.

Second, let me clear up a few things that were forgotten in the last post.
OK.  A lot of people commented about possible ulcers.  We had originally
posted that Jester was on Pepcid A/C, and after reading the Ferret Medical
FAQs were kind of thought that it would cover "ulcer medicine".  If we are
wrong, PLEASE let us know.  Jester has been treated for parasites and worms
(Parasiticide 10), in fact, after that treatment in combination with
another diarrhea (sp?) medication, his diarrhea complete went away and
hasn't returned since.  We've tried Pepto Bismol, which he IMMEDIATELY
vomits back up.  We have treated for a possible infection with AmoxyDrops
with no visible change in his condition.  Jester not only throws up food,
but also water, meds, pretty much anything that enters his mouth and
stomach.  He can throw up immediately or wait up to 30 minutes or so to
vomit.  He doesn't have a "set vomit schedule" ;-) We've been giving him
sub-Q fluids to keep him hydrated.  He has been on Duck Soup/STAT/Science
Diet AD pretty consistently.  The thing is, he still eats all of his hard
food, drinks his water, he just vomits it up afterwards.  Same with the the
duck soup, etc... We thought of a food allergy, or the food being too rich,
but we've tried from the "crappiest" cat food all the way up to Totally
ferret.  He eats it all, but with the same end results.  We have not put
him back on dog food, because he only came with a bowl full of food, and we
don't know the brand that he was eating (by the way, his owners didn't even
deliver him to the shelter, he was a true rescue) therefore we would still
be changing his diet.  Also, there were multiple vomit spots (food and
water) in his cage upon arrival to the shelter, so apparently he was
throwing up while on the dog food too.

As for the other suggestions:

We haven't opted for an ultrasound yet, as no one around us has the
equipment.  If need be we will travel to do this if other methods fail.
Many people suggested a barium x-ray series.  That will be taken care of
this week!!!  As for the blockage, it was the first thing we thought of,
but we've had experience with blockages in the past, and he isn't showing
the "signs" we've seen before.  However, we haven't ever had a blockage
that wasn't foreign, so a hair blockage or a tumor INSIDE the stomach could
still be a possibility.  Good idea, don't know why we didn't think of it
sooner!!!  Lympho in the stomach is something we will look into, but that
will probably require an ultrasound barring an exploratory surgery, which
we both feel he would not survive.  (He looks like a walking skeleton) We
will ask our vet about the carafate for the ulcers, to see if maybe the
Pepcid A/C just wasn't strong enough.  Peach juice, wow, never heard of
that, but it sure is worth a try!!!  Gonna get some tonight!!!!!

Also, a lot of people suggested surgery.  Normally, we would agree, however
in order to do so, he needs to be stronger.  He is nothing but skin and
bones.  And in order to get him stronger, we need to get him to keep the
food down.  It's a vicious catch 22.  The surgery might help him keep the
food down, but without keeping the food down, he can't have surgery!!!
ARGHHHH!!!  We don't know what to do about that????

For all of these suggestions, and any we might have not mentioned, THANK
YOU SO MUCH!!!  We really appreciate everyone taking the time to help this
poor little ferret.  He's a great little guy, and we're gonna do EVERYTHING
possible to help him live a long time!!!

We'll keep you posted.  Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers too,
we and Jester appreciate it GREATLY!!!

Chris and Tara Palaski
Directors, Westmoreland Co PFRA
P. O. Box 724
Greensburg, PA  15601

P.S.  On a much sadder note, not only do we have to deal with poor Jester,
but unfortunately we had a ferret who was very near and dear to our hearts
pass away today after complications from his second adrenal surgery (he
already had his left adrenal removed and this surgery was to remove the
right adrenal).  He wasn't even ours, he was a boarder over the summer, but
during that time we couldn't help but fall in love with him.  We miss him
already.  Please say a prayer for Theodore (Theo), we both know he's in a
better place now, but it doesn't stop the pain.