From:
Christopher Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:47:11 -0500
I truly do not want to offend anyone, and I realize alot of the answer
to this question is going to be regional and based on supply and demand.
Here in Jacksonville, Florida an average petshop ferret sells for 120.00 to
130.00 dollars.  I don't believe it is legal to breed ferrets in Florida,
in fact I think they have to be spayed/neutered to enter the state, but I
may be misinformed.  I believe adoption fees from the shelters average
75.00 to 100.00

At 11 weeks old, and already decented and neutered, Angel was in a petshop
for 130.00  The woman that owns the petshop wanted THIS ferret to go to
THIS person and so offered him to me for100.00, was given a 10.00 bag of
food free and she brought me some toys and used bedding she had kept at
home from her own departed fuzzbutt.  I would have gladly payed the 130.
Having spent well over an hour getting to know him, I had no doubt he was
my ferret by the time we left the store together.

Granted, I could care less about winning ribbons and prior to Angel I
wasn't really fond of albino anythings, maybe these are show ferrets?  I
wanted the sweet loving disposition, the solid healthy looking build, the
clear bright inquisitive eyes and all those ferret kisses I was getting
in the petshop.  His personality and obvious good health ment the most to
me.  Knowing him and seeing him and holding him, I very well may have been
willing to pay 340.00 dollars for him... but I can't imagine why someone
would do that through the mail.  Is that a normal selling price from a
breeder?  What sort of ferret do you get for 340.00 sight unseen?

Christopher & Crew
http://www.christopher.bennett.org