Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:12:43 -0700
-Hi all..I have been letting my new kids and my old kids co habitate
recently, while I am around so I can break up the fights

NK- thats my hammock..
OK  no! it's mine..
NK  no its mine!!!..
OK  I was here first you meanie
NK  well foof on you ('foof smell here')

Since they have been more together, one of the new kids is making a hissy
snake like sound..mouth closed I was wondering if I had a leak under the
sink?  No it was a NK (new kid)

None of the others make this sound..this is, btw, the fert who would be
queen.  Is this a challenge?  A warning?  and how do I deal with it.

Just now, Daphne (the hisser) got into it with Bismarck (the big old
boy..twice her weight),

Bissy climbed into a bed that Daphne was already in, hidden by a t-shirt.
Daphne hissed and screeched and Bissy just laid down on top of her,
effectively trapping her in the t'shirt when her head sticking out (she was
totally pissed).

OOPS more noise...
OK she got out and is sulking. (foof smell)

The vet thinks Daphne is about 16 months, Daisy about 14mos and Shy Violet
about 6-7mos..and that Daisy had her 1st and only litter far too young..the
reason for her eating all but Violet.

(For those who care, these kids were raised in a 10x10 chicken coop w/
chicken wire roof and a rabbit hutch to sleep in (stuffed w/ blankets.) The
previous owner was going to be a breeder but changed his mind when Daisy
ate her litter, he then got both Daisy and Shy Violet fixed and proceeded
to ignore them for 5 months over the winter.

Thus Daisy and Shy have little or no human socializing and have been a
challenge to me ( but a good one) for the past several weeks.  I am happy
to say I have not been bitten for 5 days now and most of the injuries have
healed just fine <g>with few noticeable scars.

Now about slugs..I received mail, after my first posting RE: slugs and the
ferts, that this might pose a health hazard for the ferts.  Fecal tests on
all 3 showed nothing out of line, and both the Vet and I figure these kids
have been munching on slugs and bugs in their outside venue all along so
this is normal food to them.

Meg's only comment was that ferrets who ate live food (ie the mice and I
guess the slugs) might be more aggressive than ferts who have only to chase
their kibble down.

What ever.....These girls are thin but healthy, have lovely coats and
obviously are accustomed to going after mice and slugs..  they would
certainly be a match for those manly ferts another flm'er wrote about a day
or so ago.  Of course, I have stopped using slug bait in my gardens and the
annuals are suffering a bit from it, but the ferts get out every day now on
search and destroy missions.  One of the garden lists I am on suggests this
is the grounds for a garden magazine article..have to work on that!

Thats all for now
elle and the troop
Angel Baby..the old lady but still feisty
Bismarck and Wilhelm..good old boys
Daphne Daisy and Shy Violet..the huntresses (why'd ya name us after wussy
flowers mom?)
Xena..on permanent loan
Amelia..bitch cat/outdoor mistress and only tolerates other creatures
Stormy..the kitten who would be a ferret who weighs 11 lbs at 1 year!