From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:22:37 -0800
Okay, by accident I deleted the emails that I was going to respond to about
vets.  I hate hotmail sometimes (of course it is not "user error", never
is).

The vet that I felt had a large ego and almost cost my ferret its life
because she refused to do a blood test and told me that he had "irritable
bowel syndrome", was Dr. Barbara Deebs.  She has a practice in North
Seattle.  All I know is that other vets have told me that they could not
understand why she would not do a blood panel since Rasta was six at the
time.  Rasta's glucose was at 20 when the blood panel was done.  I am so
happy that I got a second opinion.  She refused to apologize, admit being
wrong (three times) and even went as far as to tell me how "hard it is to
get blood from a ferret".  There are a few people on this list that swear
by Deebs, but I have talked to more that have told me horror stories of
similar nature.  I had even heard from one person that had reported her
to the board for malpractice/misdiagnosis, similar to mine, but not over
a ferret.  The vet I ended taking him to did a blood test immediately, but
would not write a letter to my credit card company for my dispute because
he sees her at seminars and symposiums.  I can respect him for this, since
he was just starting out on his own and that could create animosity amongst
his associates.  He was also a good vet, but not as experienced as some.
Then I discovered the vet I am now going to, right in my backyard!
Literally less than two minutes away (at normal driving speed).  Of course,
I got Dopey there in less than two minutes that night.

The vet I am going to now is Dr. Kent Thomazin.  He is located in Bellevue.
I asked him about Dr. Williams and he knew the name, and had heard good
things about him (not surprising at all).  He is learning more about ADV,
just in case.  He has done several adrenal surgeries and we discussed laser
or cryo versus "manual".  He prefers manual because he says he can feel the
depth of what he is doing much better.  This is not to say that the other
method is bad, just his preference.  Many vets do not have as much
experience with using this procedure, so that could be it too.  I know
that with the laser, animals heal much faster and it is less bloody.  Dr.
Thomazin has treated all the ferrets in a shelter that drives a great
distance for his care.  Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to meet the
people, but I will eventually.  They have been going to him for several
years.

Well, that is all for now.  Time to wrap presents.  I thought the presents
were expensive but then I saw how much wrapping paper costs!  Geez.  Cleo
thought she was being helpful to me until she encountered THAT TAPE.  Now
that was entertaining!  I laughed and laughed!  Bad mom, bad mom, bad mom.