From:
Marc Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:59:44 -0500
Jennifer Skeem <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>We have a 2&1/2 year old ferret, Zoe, who recently had what was diagnosed as
>a mast cell tumor removed from her neck.  Less than two weeks later, a
>similar bump appeared about 1/2" away, on her head.  It was bright red at
>first, but now looks like the tumor we had removed.

Our Slinky (5 year old MF female) was also diagnosed with a mast cell tumor
on her neck (went to the vet just last Friday, 28 February).  Our vet said
not to worry ... it most likely was benign.  She said to keep an eye on it
to see if it grew at a rapid rate and/or became an open leasion (sp?).  If
either of these happened, we should bring Slinky in right away to have it
removed.  The vet also recommended that we consider having it removed if we
have Slinky anaesthetized for any other unrelated procedure.

Question to the vets and the FML as a whole: should I be worried?  Is there
a high probability of this type of tumor spreading to Slinky's organs, as
Jennifer wrote in her post?  If so, I might just have this tumor removed
right away.  Any help and/or info you can supply on this condition will be
greatly appreciated.  BTW, the tumor on Slinky's neck is only about as big
around as a flattened small pea (I have to really work the fur around to get
a good look at it).

Thanks in advance!

Marc Wilson and the Tres Amigos

Slinky:  "I don't *feel* sick but I sure don't mind all the extra attention!"
Bandit:  "Hey, lots of cool stuff in this vet's office that I*must*
          investigate!"
Rascal:  "Dad ... look at me!  I'm standing at the top of the back of this
          chair ...  watch me practice flying)"
Vet      "My isn't she athletic."
Dad:     <frowning in not-so-mock embarrassment>  "I know ... she can climb
         up *and down* the outside of the cage as well as *hang* underneath
         the interior levels and *run* along them!"