From:
daoine o' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:06:23 -0600
Two things to address...

To the poster yesterday in CO that has to give up her ferrets Minerva and
Frumpstiggle (the marshwiggle?), being in CO as well, I'd love to be able
to help, but I can't.  Too small an apartment, too many ferrets already,
and no job to pay for them.

But enough about me...

I really do wish you'd reconsider keeping them.  If they are the ages I
recall you saying, around 5 or 6, then they've been with you a long time
and have bonded with you.  It would be *very* hard on them to be placed
in a new home, and at their ages, also not likely.  I'm willing to bet
that if you were to ask them and they could answer, they'd still prefer
being with the person they love and trust, even if it means less
out-of-cage time and interaction, just to know they're in a safe,
familiar environment.  So I hope you might reconsider giving them up,
please, for their sake.

The next point is about my girl Dweezil.  She'll be 6 in August, and
I'm noticing some behaviors that I think may be suggesting early-stage
adrenal.  Again, as I'm not working, I don't want to have to rush to a
vet at the drop of a hat as I'm not in a financial state to do so now.
(I'm a bad ferret-mom, I know.) I'll tell you all what I'm seeing/not
seeing, and if anyone could give me some info, I'd be grateful, and feel
better about taking her to the vet right away.

There's no hair loss or swelling of her vulva, but I'm seeing a bit more
aggressive behavior when she's playing (chasing, tackling,
squeaking/squawking even when she's the one doing the biting, not that
she's getting bitten), her smell/odor has increased, although it has been
extremely hot here lately but I haven't bathed her, and lastly, she's been
very 'lick-y': lots more eye/nosebaths for me than usual, even licking my
hands and shoving her nose into my hand to get me to let her lick my palm,
just a lot more than I've ever noticed.  Again, it's been very hot here,
and I'm, well, perspiring much more than usual, and maybe she just really
digs the salty sweat/perspiration!  It doesn't seem normal, though, and
I'm concerned.  Any info would again be much appreciated!

daoine o'
*aka the ferret queen*

Dweezil, Loki, and Razzle
~Sylvi~Rainbow Bridge~01/23/01~