From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:14:24 EDT
Hi everyone!

"Business" at the shelter is starting to pick up -- 9 ferrets in as many
days....with two more coming in on Wednesday.

I wanted to update on Silk's progress and a couple of the other shelter
kids that I had mentioned in the recent past:

Silk is doing pretty well, considering her diagnosis of Leukemia.  She is
now on prednisolone, 1/4 tab, once a day....and still on 0.25cc of Pet
Tinic 2x a day -- her red cell count is so low that this helps and she
likes the taste, so its easy to give.

A funny thing happened with her -- since being on high doses of pred, her
personality has become very skittish -- she startles easily and is a biter,
so handling her can be interesting.  I found that out when I was trying
to remove mats from her fur (when she was being force fed).  Ern dropped
something in the other room, and she whipped around and nailed me good on
the meat of my thumb (I swear this ferrets head is on swivels)...anyway,
her nails were needing to be done, but we didn't want to use our typical
method of ferretone on the belly and I didn't want to stress her by
scruffing.  Well, she was in dead-ferret mode, and Ern reached into the
cage, pulled her out and I got the clippers.  Snip, snip - first front foot
done -- snip some more - 2nd front foot done -- snip one back foot -- and
then she did something so funny - she hissed at me IN HER SLEEP!  LOL -- I
couldn't believe her - she wasn't awake, but she was hissing at me "Stop
whatever you are doing now!"....needless to say, we waited til the next day
to finish the last three toes....

Her long term prognosis isn't great, but we will make her as comfortable
as possible as long as we can.  She takes her meds well and I think that
adds to her living a bit longer.  The sad thing is -- she just turned 1
year old -- and was released to us because of her biting.  We now realize
that we will most likely be Silk's last home....

PeeDee, the prepucial adenocarcinoma kid, has had another recurrance of his
cancer.  We've done surgery twice and the last time the vet said its just a
matter of time -- its all over his body now.  He is such a sweet boy and
loves to play -- his favorite toys are those that either rattle or shake.
He loves to be held and will often come up on the bed at night to cuddle
for a while.

Garrett is still hanging in there - Just as grumpy as ever, but I can't
believe he is doing so well.  Plays with Ben, Bandit and PeeDee, as well as
the youngsters!  Watching him chase off Soccer (6mo old male) when he kept
bothering him was priceless!

Ben, Emily and Bandit are hanging in there....Em is having a bit more
trouble getting up on the bed at night, so we have to pile pillows at the
foot to help her.  She will not allow you to pick her up and put her
there -- she will immediately jump down and do it herself.

We have lots of adoptables (mostly pairs) not to mention these old timers,
cages for sale and ferret accessories.  If you are thinking of adding to
your business, please consider the shelter nearest you.  Caring for Silk
alone has cost more than $1,400.00 -- and she is only one of many.  Thanks
to all from a grateful shelter.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854