From:
Lyn Tablas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:37:22 -0500
Yes, there IS obvious confusion, but Ms. Carly is the one confused.  Skunks
ARE domestic and have been for over 200 years, not 50, as someone mentioned.
Why would you assume that only ferrets have been domesticated?  I have 4
domestic skunks.  Two are black & white, but not patterned as the ones
someone would normally think of in the wild.  One is a chocolate color,
swirl pattern and the last is an albino.  I also had a wild skunk we rescued
from a family who took him from the woods as a tiny baby.  He was NOTHING
like the domestic skunks.  Even though he'd never really known life as a
wild animal, he was STILL wild.  The domestic skunks are actually a lot like
their domestic cousins, the domestic ferrets!  They came from a breeder who
has been breeding domestic skunks for over 60 years himself!  They come from
clean, DOMESTIC lines.  I guess cats aren't domestic either?  Because my
cats are much less domestic than my skunks!  Also, my step-mother is from
Peru, South America.  Guess what.  Llamas and alpacas are ALSO very
domestic.  Like cows are to us.  Maybe one should learn more about a subject
before making cement statements like those.