From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:59:35 -0600
Hello to all fellow fuzzbutt wranglers.  I'm new to the FML and finally
decided to take the plunge and post this question.

Has anyone had any experience with ferrets and kidney ailments?  I
co-habitate with a female SM approx.  4 years of age.  Last October Tinder
had surgery to remove a grape like mass from her neck that was pushing her
trachea over to her left side causing her to snore.  (Now that I know what I
know I recommend you check the necks of your carpetsharks carefully as well
as get the snoring checked out, especially if they haven't snored before!)

Surgery went well and she recovered quite rapidly.  The vet told us to
watch for weight increase - a good sign - as the mass probably kept her
from eating more.  Problem was, she was always a slim ferret.  In early
April the weight not only came on but went to what seemed to go into
overdrive.  It turns out that she has renal failure.  She now looks like a
hairy water bottle in the shape of a ferret.

It hurts me to see her like this especially knowing that the end is near
and I can't do anything for her except make her comfortable.  She seems to
want to hang on for its been 3 weeks past her "due" date.  I'm on holidays
from work during this time of which I am glad for (last week I lost my Max
to adrenal disease - he was 9 1/2) so I'm just trying to prepare myself.

Well anyway, thanks for any info you can give me.

Betty - "hangin on"
Tinder - "scratch me on the neck just one more time"
Bear - "places to go and things to catch"
Chook - "let me lie here just a little bit longer"
Taero - "where's the ball, here's the ball, where's the b.."