From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:59:33 -0500
Last night there was a message on my answering machine from Mr. Friend.  He
had found fleas on his ferrets and wanted to let us know.  He said he had
read through the information we left with him and his wife had gone right
down to the vets and picked up the flea powder we recommended (pyrethrin).
We talked for quite some time and he said the vets in his area didn't know
anything about ferrets and the only things he knew were from reading books.
I'd bet my ferret hugs and kisses those books were the old ferreting ones.
He said he would keep in touch with us and I told him we were spreading the
word and trying to find loving homes for all his ferrets.

Several people commented on cruelty laws.  Mr Friend isn't being
intentionally cruel and from what I could see and from the ferrets reactions
he doesn't intentionally abuse them.  WE know ferrets for what they are -
loving, wonderful companions - Mr. Friend has never been exposed to that
aspect of ferrets.  But guess what - he's learning!  I do think he is just a
little afraid of them, or at least the males, most likely because he has
been bitten and probably severely, when they were fighting or frightened.
We have the advantage of the FML and ferret groups and clubs to enlighten us
- Mr. Friend didn't even have a ferret knowledgeable vet.  The cages were
clean, the food was plenty, the water was clean and each ferret had a small
bedding box with straw.  For outside breeder ferrets the conditions were
fair.  He did show interest in what type of food we had brought and asked
about the baby blankets.  He just didn't know.  I don't know where the Tide
comes in...

I've received 35 responses from FMLr's and I must say you humans are
wonderful!  Please don't feel bad that you can only send a small donation
because they all add up (several people apologized for not being able to
send very much) and you see we work as a family, those of us that can
contribute do (in whatever way they can) and no one is snyded because they
didn't or couldn't contribute much or any.  Oh and I did forget to post our
address so here it is: Ferret Family Services, PO Box 186, Manhattan KS
66505-0186.  If you want to make the check out to our vet the clinic is:
University Small Animal Clinic and if you want to verify what I am doing
their number is (913) 233-3185 Dr. Larry Snyder.

So far we have homes or shelters for about 30 of the ferrets.  The locations
are AR, FL,IL, MI, MN, NM, NV, OH, - did I forget anyone?  Now we need to
figure out how to "ferry" them from one point to the next to their new
homes.  With all of us on the fml I'm hoping we can transport them by all of
us!  Email me if you can provide transportation is certain areas so I can
coordinate this, knowing my sense of direction they could end up in Alaska:-)
Yes I'm one of "those" people that can't tell east from west or either from
north or south. :-0   For those that can adopt the fuzzies I need to know
EXACTLY where you are (NE AR, SE, etc) and the nearest big city and how far
you can drive to meet the ferry.  The ferrets will be coming from the SE
corner of Kansas around Independence area.  FFS is located in the NE corner
of Kansas (about 3 hours away).

I've got a call in to my vet to see what he will be charging for
spay/neuters and time frame (he's good but doing 40 in one day may be
pushing it just a tad bit :-)) and if he has any ideas on housing them
during this time.  Because FFS is still under quarantine I can't bring them
home (or they would have been there already).  I could house them in my nice
warm cozy partially finished basement but that would be too much of a
temptation for me to cuddle and hug and kiss and love them.... and
inadvertently transfer the virus.

For those of you that will take them intact perhaps depending on funding we
can arrange to send the funds directly to your vet.  I do hope to have them
all fixed before they leave the state with a health certificate though.

I know I've forgotten something, just remind me.

Hugs and love to all.  tle