From:
"Tarie, Tic and Tack" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:20:10 EDT
>I have a friend who is looking for a ferret he doesn't have to pay and
>arm and a leg for.... If anyone knows of any Ferrets for sale or for
>Adoption at a reasonable price would you please e-mail me.

I read and re-red this statement several times and for the life of me I
don't see anything wrong with this man's question about the ability to
purchase a ferret that doesn't cost $100.00 or more dollars for his
daughter.  I then read and reread the several posts FLAMING him for it.
That is what prompted me to speak up on this one.

Why is it that most people I find posting here have one of two things to
say.  Either they are so busy FLAMING others or they are posting endless
drivel about every little thing that their fuzzies might have done in the
last 24 hours?

When I signed up to receive this FML I did so as a means to educate myself
further on ferrets and their proper care.  Unfortunately there seems to be
little education here.  Of the 30 or more posts less than half of them
really deal with anything of use to most ferret owner who are looking to
learn or find an answer to a problem or a question.  Don't get me wrong I
like to hear about all the fuzzies that bring joy and laughter to their
owners but really...do we need the daily postings of endless nonsense?
It seems to me that the hour or more some of these people spend to write
*books* on what happened today would be a better use of time spent with
their fuzzies in play or cuddling.

As for the*FLAMERS*...COME ON NOW....didn't your mothers ever teach you
that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?  True there
are times when I read something here that really upsets me, but I take a
moment and try to see it from all sides.  *FLAMING* does little to educate
anyone.  All it does do is turn people looking for help away because no one
LIKES to be yelled at, accused, or put down.  I think that we all need to
stop and check ourselves before we go off on anyone else.

Lastly....back to the man who would like to purchase a reasonably priced
ferret.  For all of you who made the judgment that this person should not
be allowed to own a ferret simply because he questioned the cost of one,
SHAME ON YOU!!!  Did in never occur to you that maybe this man wanting
to purchase a ferret for his daughter would be a great owner!  Why does
someone's ability to pay big bucks determine his ability to love and
cherish a ferret?  I didn't spend a fortune to obtain my fuzzies and let me
tell you they could not be loved or cherished more!  The other side of this
coin is the reality that ferret prices are what they are not because of the
ferrets but because of the breeders, sellers and even shelters looking to
turn a profit.  Its money people pure and simple.  We as owner encourage
this by not questioning the costs and just plunking down our cash based on
what the retailer tells us the animal is worth in terms of dollars, and
trust me there isn't a pet shop out there that will not lower its prices if
the demand isn't willing to pay what they ask.  So....we have no one but
ourselves to blame for the cost of ferrets and their care.

Expand your minds and stop judging others.  I hope this man finds his
ferret and I have no doubt that if he does it will go to a wonderful
loving home.

T Allen.
[log in to unmask]   just in case the FLAMERS have anything to say!

[Moderator's note: I'll guess that you will receive a few flames for
implying that shelters can turn a profit.  But you do bring up a few
interesting points, perhaps others will comment.  The only other thing
I want to comment on though: flames?  I can't pretend to know what was
received privately, but I thought the responses ON the list to that
original "inexpensive ferret" post were anything but flames.  They were
well written and understanding in my opinion.  As I mentioned before,
people's perceptions of flames is not at all uniform.  BIG]