From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:50:32 -0700
>Can anyone direct me to the study or site that discusses the study
>done on this implant taking the place of Lupron shots for adrenal
>tumors? All I can find has to do with its effect on dogs.

Hi Millie:

I pulled out my copy of the Proceedings Volume 6 "A Comprehensive
Veterinary Symposium Advanced Course Management of the Ferret For
Veterinary Professionals" This comes from the May 2010 AFA Vet
Conference in Blacksburg, Virginia.

It can be ordered on the AFA site
http://www.ferret.org/shopping/education.html
for $35.00 for non-members and $31.50 for members. I purchased one for
my vet who was very appreciative!!

Here is an outline of the contents

Session I:   Michael A. Dutton Exotic Mammal Board Certification
Session II:  Michael A. Dutton Cardiology
Session III:   Reid Tyson Radiology and Ultrasound
Session IV:  Otto Lanz with R. Avery Bennet Soft Tissue Surgery
Session V:  Robert Wagner GnRH Agonists and GnRH Vaccine Study
Session VI: Robert Wagner Distemper Titer Study
(all are vets)
The Second Day is filled with Wet Laboratories that Included:
Michael A. Dutton Partial Pancreatectomy
Mark R. Finkler Phlebotomy and Catheterization
Rene Gandolfi Gastrointestinal Biopsies
Robert Wagner Miscellaneous Procedures

There are a number of interesting pieces of information for the the
ferret owner and I did not find the reading level difficult, but it is
written on higher than an eighth grade reading level which is the level
that many programs like first aid and CPR class information is written
on if that helps. Medical terminology is used in each of the written
presentations, but a Taber's Medical Dictonary or on-line medical terms
will walk you through it.

The "Miscellaneous procedures" includes lymph node biopsy, liver
biopsy, splenic biospy and bone marrow aspiration.

"Gastrointestinal biopsies" includes a segment on "five really good
reasons to pursue and aggressively treat IBD in the ferret."

Now, with regard to Millie's question on the study or site addressing
implants to "replace Lupron."

For many ferrets the implant will become the "drug of choice for ACD
treatment," but for some ferrets the implants have not shown to be
effective. Two thoughts on this are: the tumor on the adrenal gland is
an adenocarcinoma and in some ferrets with a long history of Lupron
use, this may have created a resistance to the implants. Therefore, the
4.7 mg Deslorelin implants may never replace Lupron but have become an
additional tool in the veterinarian's tool box for assisting patients'
treatments with ACD.

Bob Wagner presents in Session V "GnRH Agonists and GnHR Vaccine
Study," information about the following drugs used to effect adrenal
cortical disease (ACD) in ferrets. They include: Melatonin,
Bicalutamide and Anastrozole, Trilostane, Leuprolide Acetate (Lupron
One Month Depot)), Triptorelin Pamoate Trelstar) Depot and Deslorelin
(3mg Implant), Deslorelin Acetate 4.7mg Implants, GnRH for Treatment
of ACD, GnRH Vaccination for the Prevention of ACD (This is the works
and Wagenr shares Preliminary Data), Anti-LHRH and Anti-Pituitary
Gonadotropin Vaccines: Gegarelix.

Each drug treatment is followed by study results where applicable or
related information. This is a nice overview of the treatments for
ACD in ferrets over the last decade or more and some more that are
currently being studied here in the U.S. and other countries . I hope
this answers Millie's question and stirs other to share this info with
your vet if they are not strong in ferret care. If you cannot afford
to give them this gift, perhaps with the site information they will
be willing to make the purchase. It certainly is a wonderful gift to
yourself if you are inclined toward this type of presentation of
knowledge.

Also, the published Deslorelin 4.7 mg implant study by Dr. Robert
Wagner can be found at : Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine 2009 18:
146-152. The title is The Treatment of ACD in Ferrets with 4.7 mg
Deslorelin Acetate Implants.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3
Hide not amongst the shadows of grief, But frolick openly in the
meadows of memories. sp