From:
Lisa Leidig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 12:11:10 -0400
Hi everyone!

Seems like the spring just makes things even busier than they already are!
I have been behind on the FML, so I will try to make this short ;-)

Foods: Can't say it too often: Garbage In, Garbage out (you computer geeks
out there will recognize this as GIGO).  If you feed your ferrets a lower
quality food, you are going to see a lower quality life.  Have you ever
wondered why feeding your ferrets Meow Mix or Country Kitten or Deli Cat
produces bright red colored poops?  The answer is: cheap ingrediants and
dyes.  Stuff that you don't see in a quality food like Iams, Totally Ferret,
Innova.  Mine eat a mix of Iams/TF because of cost and quality.  I look at
it this way: I feel better & have more energy when I eat foods good for me,
why wouldn't I do this for my pets????  Please try to switch your ferrets to
a better food, I promise you that you will be rewarded by happier,
healthier, longer-lived ferrets!!!

<sorry for the soapbox, and I can't promise it won't happen again>

Adrenal ferrets: Kyle, the amazing Albino who had both of his adrenal glands
removed in February, is doing very well, considering all of his other
problems.  For a 3 year old ferret, he is sort of a mess, but he will stay
with me for the rest of his life.  His ear being sewed shut has proved to be
no problem for him hearing (he hears the food lid being opened VERY well)
but some liver values and blood chemistry results show he has a lot of other
problems, they just are vague enough to not pinpoint the problem.  As a
result, he spends lots of time at the vet getting Blood panels done, but he
has a trick that he plays on the docs: he pees on them!!!

This ferret has the best control I have ever seen!!!  For instance, he went
in for a blood panel and the Doc began cleaning his ear - I told him to
remember that this was Kyle and he was probably going to . . . . .  and
away he went!!  All over the doc!!  They took him in the back to take blood
and the vet tech came out and said he peed on her!!  The next vet went in
the back to take a skin scraping and said he peed on him!  they brought him
back out and Dr. Hulls picked him up and was stroking his head, and you
guessed it!  He peed on him again!!!  It was too funny!!!

Before anyone asks, no, Kyle does not have a urinary problem, this is just
his way of getting back at them (he only does this at the vets, at home he
pees normally).  The only thing about Kyle that I noticed that is different
is that his coat grew back with a definite orange tint to it!  I assume it
must have to do with the regrowth after adrenals, and possibly due to the
complete removal of the glands, but it doesnt bother him, and I think it
makes him even more unique!  Just remember, if ya ever come to visit me and
I ask you to clean the albino ferrets ear, hold him over the sink!!!

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa