From:
Lisa Leidig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:28:34 -0400
Hi everyone!  Please note my new internet address - yes, I know I have
changed a lot, but its really too complicated to explain!!!

I'm catching up on some questions from the last couple of FML's, so please
bear with me.

To Pamela/Aleutian disease - if your ferret truly has Aleutian disease, it
may have already spread to any other ferrets in your house.  This virus is
highly contagious, and there is currently no cure or vaccine for Aleutian,
and is chronic.  Supportive care is the only option at this point.  I would
definitely recommend not=20 allowing your ferret to come in contact with
other ferrets, and there is a titer test to confirm Aleutian.  I consider
this virus to be worse than ECE.  I have more info on Aleutian, if you need
it, from personal research.

To Koko & cute ferret - Any ferret that has felt displaced by a new kit will
certainly feel jealousy, much like sibling rivalry.  Try to spend more time
with the 1 1/2 year old, to prevent any worsening of the situation.  I would
caution about allowing a baby to be so adamant about stealing food from you -
he is only going to get bigger & stronger!!!

Pedialyte: I have found that the manufacturers of Pedialyte now make a pop
that can be frozen!  They are individual servings, can be frozen once open,
and so much easier than mixing the powder!  They are found in the baby
section in Food Lion stores, and called Pedia Pops!  I think they are great,
and have definitely come in handy already with my insulinoma kids!

Distemper - I can't say enough how important it is to vaccinate - even if
you have to leave your ferret at the vets for an entire day because of a
previous reaction, or use an alternate canine distemper vaccine, please just
remember this: Distemper is 100% fatal in ferrets, and you can expose your
ferret to it without even knowing it.  Having seen first-hand the ravages of
distemper, I beg anyone who is thinking twice about skipping the yearly
vaccination, to please think again.  Its hard enough when a rescue that I
have only seen for a few short weeks dies needlessly, but when its your
cherished pet, it has to be even worse!  Sorry to be on a soapbox, but
distemper is a nasty, preventable disease that I truly hate.

Lisa