Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:19:10 -0700
Janine wrote:

>Hade is a male (de-sexed) ferret, approx 45cm long from tip of nose to base
>of tail (actually he doesn't have a tail - his Mum bit it off!!) and weighs
>approx 2kg.  He is a little pear shaped and waddles a little when he walks.
>I guess you could say he might be little overweight???

Okay, so Hade is 18" nose to rump and about 4 lbs.  Actually, that sounds
like a good weight!!  He's a nice sized boy, and sounds like he can't be
too overweight!

>I have just ordered and received Totally Ferret (took some getting as I
>live in New Zealand and had to have it ordered from The Ferret Store in
>USA).  Previous to this they were eating Iams Kitten food (and Puppy food -
>but now I know better).  I am wondering if Hade should be eating the
>Totally Ferret for Older Ferrets??  He isn't very old - does this matter???

Wow, I priced it and balked... it costs a mint for shipping alone!
Actually, last I checked, shipping costs as much as the food, and Totally
Ferret is NOT cheap!  Hade is only ten months though, so IMHO he shouldn't
be on the TF for older ferrets.  Try making the mix 75% Iams, 25% TF and
giving him treats of cooked and raw meat instead of the 'ferret treats' you
find in the store.

>They do get lots of exercise - I don't like cages so they live in an area
>of our house that is 2.5m x 2.5m with lots of tubes and balls - even a
>children's paddling pool full of dirt (for digging)....

That's a nice size enclosure.  Something like 7.5ft square!  <g> My 'large'
cage is not much larger than that, and I've had fifteen ferrets running wild
in there!!  My smaller cage is almost half the size!  Sounds like you've got
spoiled furbabies :o)

>Anyway my question is.... should I be concerned about Hade's weight?? ...

Personal opinion?  He's a nice sized boy, and possibly a little overweight,
but some ferrets are naturally built to look like pears!!  They're cute <G>
I have one at home like that!!  He's only young, and as long as you watch
that he doesn't get 'too' heavy (e.g.  looking like a pillow when he lies
down!!) he should be okay.  Lots of exercise and play should help a lot.

Good luck!!

Sam