Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:06:40 -0700
Hey guys!!

It's been a long trip, and now I'm faced with the end of it.  I've loved
meeting all the people I've met (sad to say I became more than the person
I was when I began the trip!!  Darn, too much good food <G>) I'm looking
forward to meeting more people tomorrow (or today by the time this comes
out!!) at the BBQ in CA.  Because ferrets are not allowed to this particular
BBQ I'm afraid no ferret burgers or kebabs will be served, but I guess with
more fighting on the behalf of all these wonderful people in this cursed
State (er... well it's a nice State other than this particular issue I
guess) in the future hot ferrets will be available for all.

I've added up all the ferrets I've met on this trip, and it's totalled 773
ferrets thus far.  So, almost 800 in four months <whew>!!  I've been
updating my site with the pics from my trip in the past few months.  It
includes pics of almost all the stops I've been to, including a few people,
lots of ferrets and other animals, and even a few sunsets and rises... Since
it tends to take me a few days to settle down in one spot before taking
pics, those places I was in for short times, I'm afraid, may not have had
pics taken.  However, the others have heaps to make up for it!

I miss my babies, and look forward to seeing them again shortly.  I've been
getting constant updates in my time away, and they're all well, but...
there's nothing quite like seeing them and making sure for myself!!

A note to Bob, who, since he's on the road probably won't see this... uh,
I'm not flying out till Tuesday p.m. - plenty of time for a visit since
you're only one State up!!  <G> Time zones being what they are, I fly out on
Tuesday and just over a12=BD hour flight, I arrive in New Zealand on
Thursday :o0 Needless to say, I have a lot of email and work to catch up on!
I'm hoping to get myself a new boy to join the ranks of my babies shortly,
so will be busy that way too ;o)

Anyone who has some idea of the requirements for judging ferrets
(particularly conformation) for ANY of the standards, I'd appreciate copies
of it being sent :o) New Zealand has a fairly new 'club' (New Zealand Ferret
Association) who has started doing shows.  Alas, they have no standards to
base their judging on, and I'm hoping to get some of the basics together to
help.  IMO having good standards of conformation (especially those which
encourage healthy animals) can help to reduce irresponsible breeding - of
which there is a LOT of in New Zealand.  <sigh> I wish I could have a judge
come over and show me the ropes.

Also, could the shelters out there please send a set of standards for the
shelter, and questions for prospective owners so that I may send them on to
the NZFA ferret shelter?  Thanks :o)

On a good note, I'm going back home having met heaps of great people, taking
home a lot of neat ferret stuff, including some sleep sacks, hammocks,
tents, statues and more... I'm hoping Customs will allow the ferret food I
was given through without a hitch!!  Looking forward to the BBQ on Saturday
and meeting yet more people :o)

Thanks again!!

Sam